What Master's degree will help the most with classroom management? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Career Decisions

What Master's degree will help the most with classroom management?

>

Helen07

What Master's degree will help the most with classroom management?
Old 11-03-2016, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all,

I am a first-year ESL teacher looking to improve my classroom management through graduate school. I thought I had found the perfect solution with Graceland University's MEd in Management in a Quality Classroom, but I called them and it turns out that they have discontinued the program. There are a couple other universities that offer Masterís degrees in education with concentrations in Classroom Management; so far the only places Iíve been able to find besides for-profit schools are Peru State and Bethel University, and they only offer a couple of courses in classroom management and the rest are in other things. A site called Masterís in Teaching said that a Masterís in Classroom Management was possible, but the universities they listed didnít seem to have the program.

So if anyone knows of a University that offers a Classroom Management degree, that would be my ideal happy solution. However, Iím thinking that my search is in vain. So, what would be a good alternative field for me to study? Educational Psychology? Applied Behavioral Analysis? Iím looking for a field that would help me improve my behavior management and get control of my classroom, with as many classroom management courses as possible but I could also see the benefit of psychology courses or anything that will help me manage behavior.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Helen07 is offline   Reply With Quote

SwissTeacher2

Old 11-06-2016, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had looked into this as well but honestly I think your best bet is to buy a few different books. One of my favorites is Tools for Teaching and I've also started reading Discipline Without Stress Punishments or Rewards which I like so far. You can also read articles from Smart Classroom Management.

The benefit of reading vs schoolwork is that you get to reflect on your own and decide what will work best for YOU.
SwissTeacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Czechgirl

classroom management
Old 11-06-2016, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wow! This sounds like a wonderful venture to get into. I hope you find it, but I wanted to give you an option just in case you couldn't find a good Master's degree option. This past summer I went to a week long professional development training called Great Expectations. The focus is teaching students the principals like respect, responsibility, patience, trustworthiness, etc. The program is designed based upon all the great research out there. I am using Great Expectations in my classroom this year. The company is based in Oklahoma. I live in Texas and the company goes to different states. They also provide continuing education because I plan on going again this next summer. Their website is www.greatexpectations.org
Czechgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

Discpline Without Stress
Old 11-06-2016, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

SwissTeacher2's recommendation of Discipline Without Stress is a good one. Your classroom won't be stress free or anything, but it is a good management system. If you can't find a program, I would also recommend reading this book.
eeza is online now   Reply With Quote

Hpylife

Old 03-05-2017, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know this thread is a few months old, but thought I would add to it. I love the replies you've gotten,but wanted to add on.

I think besides reading books and taking classes, one of the BEST ways to learn about behavior/class management (and the difference between them) is to go and observe/volunteer in as many classrooms/schools as possible.

If you have a free day or two per month, offer to volunteer as an extra pair of hands in as many classrooms as you can. Watching different teachers and classes is the best way to learn about class management. Be sure to go to different schools as well instead of volunteering at the same one. I found that by doing this it really opened my eyes to some spectacular ideas and methods, as well as one's that were horrible. GOOD LUCK!

Hpylife is offline   Reply With Quote