Abeka Spelling - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

floridagirl

Abeka Spelling
Old 09-12-2007, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach fourth grade Abeka Spelling, and I really don't like it. They teach a lot of words that my students don't know how to read; don't understand the meaning of; and will not use at this point in their lives.

I've found that my students have a hard time transitioning from 3rd grade Abeka Spelling to fourth grade - and my new students (who aren't used to Abeka) don't have a clue.

Any ideas?

floridagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

luvnjesus

How long
Old 09-12-2007, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

has your school been using the program? We don't use this program so I am not familiar with Abeka. I wonder if your administrator would allow you to find something different. Does Abeka teach specific words with strategies, structure, etc.? If so, you could use the strategies being taught and create your own word list. Just a couple of suggestions.
luvnjesus is offline   Reply With Quote

GB

What I'm doing...
Old 09-12-2007, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

and the parents love it! My kids are doing some modified versions of Beth Newingham's spelling. Get on her website and look it over. I send home a pre-test to do at home and one weekly spelling activity. I'll make up nine activities and they'll see the same one only once a quarter over the year. It helps support the harder A Beka words. We also do challenge words with some of the harder words every week, too.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote

floridagirl

Old 09-17-2007, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hey, thanks for the ideas!

I'm kind of locked into the curriculum for now, though I'm hoping I can get some changes approved for future years.

We do many different spelling activities throughout the week... the problem is that my students this year are pretty unmotivated. They care about the test, but not the assignments (even though they get pretty excited about the fact that I don't simply make them write the words a couple of times each evening). They can't really make a connection between the effort they put into their assignments and their eventual test scores.

I am going to try the Pre-testing idea this week. My colleagues who pretest do so at the beginning of the week. I don't really see great value in that; however, it makes sense to me to pretest them a day or so before the actual test so they can see which words they need to concentrate their efforts on.

Anyhow... I'm kinda wordy tonight.

Thanks!

Jsjones1117

Abeka
Old 09-17-2007, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach Abeka spelling. I actually like it. I teach a combined class of 3rd & 4th grade. So I teach both everyday. We do spelling bees, and other activities to learn our words. They have to write their words as part of their seatwork and then every night for homework. We use our spelling words for sentences, stories, writing, etc. I have changed to other spelling books and have decided to stick with ABEKA. IT just goes with everything. I really like it. Once the kids get a hang of it they do well. I do a pretest on Tuesday and then test on Wednesday, as an incentive if they pass the pretest then they dont have to test on Wednesday. As extra practice we write our spelling words in red, then over that in blue, then over that in green. Today I had them write their words in pen then circle the consonants in black and the vowels in orange. You would be surprised how well things like that work.

Jsjones1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

floridagirl

It's working!
Old 09-24-2007, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the ideas! I used the pretest idea last week, and all but two of my students had increases in their grades. Several of the increases were pretty drastic.

Thanks!

supermom1010

Abeka
Old 11-07-2007, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We use A Beka in all subjects. This is my second year of teaching third grade. I didn't like it at all last year, but this year isn't so bad. I have to teach by the book but I add things that are more interesting. Third grade was revised this year and the school bought the revised version. I believe fourth grade was either revised the year before or will be received this year. The revised version is easier to follow than the olde version. It's not so bad! Use some of the games that are suggested. They seem sort of corny but the kids think it is a treat!
supermom1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
peppy

peppy

alternative
Old 03-07-2008, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I grew up in a school that used A Beka. For spelling though, we used a program called "Wordly Wise". We also used it the whole time I was homeschooling. I LOVED it as a child and it taught me GOOD spelling habits. I don't know how flexible your school is, but you could consider looking into it.

MzTeacher

4th grade abeka spelling
Old 09-20-2008, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hello I am in need of List 2 in 4th grade abeka spelling. I had 2 reorder my books. can someone help me out. I need before monday.
MzTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Regina

Regina

Needed spelling list
Old 01-29-2010, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am in need of spelling list 18 and 19 for the third grade Beka spelling book. Can anyone help?