Help

High School

Romeo and Juliet Related Novels

>

newteacher9

Romeo and Juliet Related Novels
Old 11-09-2016, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a high school English teacher with honors freshmen. Next semester, I have to teach Romeo and Juliet. I plan on teaching the entire play during class, but I want to do a project where my students need to find a novel to read on their own with a similar theme or motif (forbidden love, healthy/toxic relationships, etc.). I want this to be a novel they might actually enjoy, and to help them out, I want to create a list of suggested novels. My entire unit focuses on self love and what a healthy relationship looks like.

I want to create a list of novels (preferably young adult novels) that revolve around the idea of love. Students will have to analyze the relationship between the characters and compare and contrast it with Romeo and Juliet. I'm also open to LGBT relationships featured in the novels. Any suggestions for books or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

newteacher9 is offline   Reply With Quote

NavyHusband

Old 11-10-2016, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Snow Falling on Ceders is a good one, but it is a little above a freshman's level. The Great Gatsby is another good book, and I think a lot of students liked that book.
NavyHusband is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

don't know if this qualifies
Old 11-14-2016, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Even though I'm making a popular reference, what about the 1st few instalments of Twighlight. Granted I've never read a single book nor had seen a single movie, I know enough to connect the dots. You or your students may scoff/balk at the idea but the conflict is between the natural and the supernatural. Go Team Capulet! OR Go Team Montague! Which side is your students in?
Mikhail is online now   Reply With Quote

NCLATeacher

Novels
Old 11-23-2016, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've always loved teaching Shakespeare, and this may be a good way to show the literary allusions that exist. All of these are modern takes on the Romeo and Juliet story:

Scribbler of Dreams
Romiette and Julio
Son of the Mob

Son of the Mob has a male protagonist and I think there is a sequel.

You can also connect The Fault in our Stars.

I haven't read it, but Still Star Crossed deals with a relationship between Rosaline and Benvolio.

I think there are others out there if you do an internet search.
NCLATeacher is offline   Reply With Quote