More Ideas for Parent Night? - ProTeacher Community

Cate395

Cate395

More Ideas for Parent Night?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Everyone,

I am beginning to look for ideas for parent involvement. I have read some of the previous posts about parent night and already have some ideas from there. Has anyone ever had professional speakers come in and teach the parents strategies or anything like that? I'm not sure where to look. What about the parent institute website...has anyone had success with materials there? I know they provide things in spanish, which is a big plus for me since a lot of my parents only speak spanish.

One thing I am thinking of doing for weekly parent involvement in sending home a game each week for the child to play with the parents. I have the scholastic series card game books. I teach the kids to play the games in class and since it's fairly easy to copy enough for each child, I may send them home for a week and have the parent sign that they played them with their child. The students can earn prizes for playing the games each week. I'm just not sure if my parents will actually do it! But maybe?!

Any other ideas?? This is my schools first year with targeted assistance, so new territory...

rray

rray

Parent Night
Old 09-13-2007, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We just did a new thing this year. We usually do a fall Reading Family Fun Night, and Spring, Math Family Fun Night. The Parent Survey in the Spring showed that they would like some help with homework support, so we decided to do that. After our 30 minute welcome to Title, please sign the compact, get acquainted, we had a speaker from our local Home Extension do a presentation about homework. She addressed differences in children, right brain-left brain, parents working with school, and lots of other pertenant info.

ReadSoMuch

Local Home Extension question
Old 09-25-2007, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are planning a family night (or 2 nights) to welcome families to Title I, meet and greet, and then share information with parents about reading with their child (K-2) and homework strategies (3rd-5th).

Rray, could you please elaborate about the speaker you mentioned from the local "home extension?" I'm not familiar with this in my area. Thank you!
ReadSoMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
rray

rray

sorry I took so long answering
Old 10-16-2007, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I haven't been on the website for quite a while...
Home Extension is the source of 4-H and other educational programs for counties in Illinois. It is related to some things from the University of Illinois. There are ladies clubs in the state, and educational services to the schools sponsored through them. I really don't know what else to say, I guess they are related to the County Farm Bureau. Sorry I can't be of more help. It made a good family night.

ReadSoMuch

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2007, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it!

ReadSoMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
masterteacher

masterteacher

parental involement and games
Old 11-12-2007, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

some companies are offering curriculum-based games for parental involvment. I saw some at a recent show NJEA try newpath learning.
Teresa J

Teresa J

Tile 1 Director
Old 10-28-2010, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have invited professionals in to talk with parents, which proved to be a great success. The first was a nutritionist. We asked her to talk about the tie between nutrition, exercise and learning. The second was a psychologist. We asked him to talk about homework resistance and routines that may help. Both of these professionals were community members and neither asked to be paid for their time at our school.