High School

Graduating soon, and want to keep my students engaged

>

Mr. S. Jordan

Mr. S. Jordan

Graduating soon, and want to keep my students engaged
Old 11-15-2016, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a student in college graduating soon (at the end of next spring). I find in my observations that teachers do not have all of the students engaged. My goal is to teach in marginalized populated areas and give them the tools to believe in themselves and better their current situation. I understand that getting and keeping some groups of students may be tougher with outside situations they may have, at home situations, working, no consistent meals. My question is, how can I as a new teacher, and in many cases relatable to these students keep them engaged, coming to school and of course being successful beyond my high school social studies class?

Mikhail

be careful what you wish
Old 11-16-2016, 01:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There's various levels of DISengagement. Among the favourites, and I don't mean to make it sound awful, is by having students watch a documentary without adequate supplement to review what they watched. It's almost akin to what caregivers do in old folks homes to keep them from being overexcited? Worse is having students watch something that is NOT related to the course that they're studying, .

One way of keeping students engaged is by having students do some collaboration. This can take on many forms but one of the more popular ways is by having students do formal debates. In your line of training, you must have a lot more ideas here especially for SS or History, even Science. But beware...
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

ChrisLit

Movement and Competition are my Go-to's!
Old 01-27-2017, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm a big fan of competitive activities to keep high schoolers engaged. I teach English so when we need to get through large chunks of reading (a time when many of my students like to zone out) I like to have my students compete to see how many examples of they can find to support a statement I put on the board. Or see which of my table groups can list the most examples of characterization. Suddenly, they're finding 10 examples instead of 1 or 2, all because I said it was a competition. You don't even need a prize. They'll do it for bragging rights.

Also, anything that gets them moving helps. I label the corners of my room Agree, Disagree, Strongly Disagree, and Strongly Agree. Then whenever I need to perk the kids up or get them thinking and talking to each other, I ask an opinion question and tell them to go to their corners. They can then discuss in their corners or share out to the rest of the room why they are there.

A really weird thing that never seems to fail is I have my student write on the tables. Dry erase marker comes right off the tables without staining, so I'll have them write answers, or have conversations right on the table (kind of like a forum). It seems "taboo" so they really love it! Plus, I have them clean it up with lysol wipes which helps cut down on germs haha!

Lastly, if there is something they have to do and I am really struggling to make it engaging, I will often have students working to earn the right to listen to music while they work. They can earn that right by participating and not having side conversations.
ChrisLit is offline   Reply With Quote