I've been offered an inn-city teaching job; Should I take it? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Career Decisions

I've been offered an inn-city teaching job; Should I take it?

>

BrotherAtlas

I've been offered an inn-city teaching job; Should I take it?
Old 11-16-2016, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Edit: please excuse the the typo in the title

I live in Janesville, a city in southern Wisconsin with a population of about 63,000. I lived here all my life and have been a substitute teacher in the area for the last two years with a preference for middle school and am very comfortable in the local schools. Recently though, I've been offered a middle school math/science teaching job in Racine, a city 30 miles south of Milwaukee that's notorious for poor schools and of which I've never even been to, beginning in less than two weeks. This could be a great opportunity for me to get my foot into the door and apply for other jobs, but it'll be deeply outside my comfort zone and is sure to be a difficult position. Do you think I should turn down the job? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by BrotherAtlas; 11-16-2016 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: typo
BrotherAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote

Betty4567

Why did the other teacher leave?
Old 11-16-2016, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi,

I would ask about what resources you would have. Will you work with a mentor and plan with other teachers?

I've have been teaching in a city with high poverty for over 10 years. I still have lots of technology and other resources available. Every district is really different! Ask lots of questions and try to go visit the campus before you sign the contract.

good luck!!

Betty4567 is offline   Reply With Quote

BrotherAtlas

Old 11-16-2016, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the reply,

I asked in the interview, and I'll be provided a mentor, there's adequate planning time with other teachers, and we'll have access to proficient amounts of technology (Smartboards, Chromebooks, ect.).

My chief concern though is classroom management; my hometown is prominently blue collar and getting some classes under control is sometimes a challenge during my subbing jobs.

Besides that, I feel 10 days is not much time to handle my affairs in Janesville and then settle into a new city.
BrotherAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

Flip the coin!
Old 11-19-2016, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What ever you hope for (as far as that coin landing heads or tails, decline or accept) you will know your true feelings on the move! Yes, good luck
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

megann831

Old 01-18-2017, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It looks like this will be a mid year replacement right? I'd give it a try and leave at the end of the year if you're not happy.

I came from a similar situation to yours and I've been teaching in an inner city school for 11 years now. I have good years and bad, I'm 34 now and it's hard to imagine how I'll have the energy or patience for this by the time I'm 40. We do have experienced teachers come in and within a month quit. We also have new teachers who clearly don't fit in come in and make a world of difference with the kids.

I kind of wish I had held out of a different position. I heard once I started teaching here I can get a position anywhere, but that has not held true. I think other districts know I can manage a classroom, but may question how rigorous I am because I'm dealing with most of my students reading far below grade level. I will say, if you take the position, save your money! I bought a house my 2nd year of teaching and have needed the money since. You'll probably be getting paid better than if you taught in a suburb. If you think you may leave, don't make purchases that will cause you to depend on that salary.

megann831 is offline   Reply With Quote