New Teachers

Feeling discouraged

>

pielette

Feeling discouraged
Old 11-23-2016, 10:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am grateful that I have found a job this year. However, I feel as if I have chosen the wrong profession. So many things have happened since the beginning of the year that I feel like I shouldn't be a teacher.

First, I did so poorly in my original grade that the principal switched my assignment to another grade. While I am happy about the switch, I feel a lot of pressure to do well. I am under a microscope and I need to prove to everyone that I will not fail again.

Second, I don't fit in at the school. I am a minority and although the students are minorities too, they don't respect me. They haven't had a teacher like me before and so they don't seem to think I am a real teacher. It is really hard to fight the feeling that everyone else is a real teacher and I am not.

If I was a struggling student, I would tell myself to not give up and to celebrate little successes. However, right now I feel totally discouraged. I hate being myself at the school I am at .

pielette is offline   Reply With Quote

lv2read

Old 11-24-2016, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You mention that you were switched to another grade level; this is not a bad thing. There are some grades that we teachers aren't comfortable teaching. Despite the grade level, there are things that you may need to change to get the respect you are deserving.
1. You must present yourself with confidence and presence. Let your students know that you mean what you say. Establish boundaries, rules and consequences. Follow through with the consequences.
2. Establish procedures and routines that work for you. Teach them to your students. Expect perfection and rehearse as needed to get there.
3. You are not expected to do everything perfectly. Teachers learn how to get better with time and practice. Recognize the things that are going well. Work on one or two things at a time.
4. Speak with a mentor to go over some of your concerns. If you do not have on at your school, ask for help from your district. Perhaps they can match you with a more experienced teacher at a different school.
5. A change of location may be the answer to your problems. Keep that in mind when you are looking to sign your contract again next year.
In the mean time, work on improving your practices and skills so if you do change locations, you will be better prepared to take on the challenges at the new location. Because, trust me when I tell you, that every school has issues.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress. Happy Thanksgiving
lv2read is offline   Reply With Quote

Ninetwo

Some districts are bad matches
Old 12-11-2016, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Perhaps it is the wrong school/district for you, not the wrong profession. I started my first year out of college at a school that was not a right fit. I actually quit that job after the first two weeks! I subbed for about 4 months then went to a new district as a Para Professional for the rest of the year. I got hired on in that district as a full-time teacher this year and although it is tough the first year it is a way better fit. Although it is stressful I am still hopeful that I made the right decision to be a teacher. I have a ton to still learn (classroom management and content), but I can do this. It was not me at that other school, it was a bad match. You can not hate yourself. Do not do that!
Ninetwo is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 12-19-2016, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Do you have a mentor or someone who you could go to for questions that you have? I am a new teacher and relied heavily on my mentors for help. I don't have an official mentor this year but I ask lots of questions from others. Keep trying, ask questions, and rest when you can. It is so hard to be a new teacher and I hope you are getting the support that you need.

You are a REAL teacher and you are obviously a good one because you care enough to ask for help. Good luck!
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote