Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

High School

Not a math major

>

Not a math major
Old 11-24-2016, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Should a substitute be clicking 'accept' to advanced math classes when that sub knows nothing about this subject? My view is that the class needs more that merely someone who maintains discipline and takes attendance; however I hate to pass up jobs.

4048 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 11-24-2016, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Reality is that there are few if any subs qualified to teach advanced math in many districts. Math teachers know this. If they are absent for a day or two, they make plans that any sub can follow. Advanced students are capable of working independently on review material for a day or two. I would not be concerned about taking a one or two day job. If the need is for a long term sub, then I think it would be important to have some math training.
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

NavyHusband

Old 11-25-2016, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have never met a secondary teacher who leaves an actual lesson for the sub to teach (except when they go on maternity leave). I personally try to manipulate my lesson plans so the days I know I am going to be absent, I will plan something that the students need to do, but I don't need to be there for them to do it (like an essay or a test).
NavyHusband is offline   Reply With Quote

harpadzo

Math Major Here
Old 02-17-2017, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am a former NYC substitute teacher who graduated with a B.A. in Mathematics from Lehman College in 1994. Not all subs qualify to cover high school math courses. You are right but let's not generalize.
harpadzo is offline   Reply With Quote

AZsub

Subs for Math
Old 03-21-2017, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just started subbing for high school math, the last two years.

The students are usually bright and polite in the advanced classes. I do not have a background in math, but this is what I have found. If you can talk to the teacher ahead of time and get a "key," with all the answers that really helps. It also shows you how problem is done.

Get a couple of the really smart kids in class to help you explain how a problem is done if they are stuck. Let students work in pairs or groups to help each other.

Students can always skip a problem, if no one in class can help them. I say, save it for tomorrow when teacher is in and can help you. Then tell them to move on to the next question.

Subbing math is not bad. I highly recommend it.

AZsub is offline   Reply With Quote