Anybody ever left the field and came back

>

iS25

iS25

Anybody ever left the field and came back
Old 11-29-2016, 03:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,

I'm debating leaving the teaching field to go into another field working with youth....has anyone ever left and came back?

Also if you have left the field what causes you to leave? What's the final straw?

Thank you everyone

Innovator11

Old 12-23-2016, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have left and came back, but my leaving was to simply explore another career field.
Innovator11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hpylife

yes indeedy
Old 01-04-2017, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hello,
Yep, I've left the field , several times and then gone back.

Currently I am trying to work my way back into the field after being out of it for about 8 years. I recently started substituting with the hopes of being asked to interview for the next year positions.

I really need the benefits which is the main reason for going back into the public school zone. The reason I left public school before was because I got sick of having to rush, teach to the test, and red tape of government policies. However, the benefits are excellent and the wage is decent, along with paying for continuing ed, so I am back in the line to hope for a job offer again.

I enjoyed..really really enjoyed teaching preschool, but the pay was horrible, and the benefits were terrible as well. I can't afford to do that anymore.
Hpylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Going back? Sorry this gets long.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm currently substituting and taking classes in order to go back. It's a long story, but one that seems to happen a lot to older teachers unfortunately. I was in a school that bullied teachers. I was one of several that after years of good evaluations suddenly got negative ones. I switched my position and schools but the evaluations followed me. I was a wreck with worry and lots of stress. I would get observed constantly and checked on everything. I would stay later and make sure everything was ready and over ready for the next day. It even affected my marriage. I had to go through a divorce on top all of this then. My principal had already gotten rid of or made 4 other teachers leave that year. With the help of my union we settled on an agreement where I would get some pay if I quit. I never knew that they made these kind of arrangements. I also got all of the negative evaluations and anything else bad in my records taken out. This was my last straw. -- I finally agreed to quit after continued harassment the next year. I think they knew I could have fought it. I had nothing left in me though. I felt defeated and my self-confidence was at an all time low.
I didn't work for awhile and had to sell my house. My ex took advantage of my situation and had a better lawyer. Another long story.
But now, almost 3 years later, I'm almost done with classes. I've done pretty good in college. I've gotten a lot better with technology. Updated my skills. I'm going to be applying for teaching positions for next fall in special education. I'm a little worried because I'm older and I have student loans again. But it looks like a good time to go back with teacher shortages and such. I couldn't stay away from teaching because I love it so much. I'll stay away from the district I left for sure. I'm just hoping I won't run into another administration that doesn't like older teachers. While subbing for the last few years, I've done great at subbing. I think being older sometimes is an advantage because kids respect me more than a beginning teacher. Maybe not, my classroom management has always been great. They couldn't even try to discredit me in that area.
So I think if you really want to stay you should. But if is effecting your health and other relationships, then look at other options. You have to take care of yourself first.
Best of luck and I hope all works out for you no matter what you decide.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote