Help

Teacher News & Opinion

Teacher suspended for trying to protect her students

>

jazzer

Teacher suspended for trying to protect her students
Old 12-12-2016, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you think of this article. I can't believe this teacher is being suspended for trying to keep her students safe. I will bet she sent him to the office and the principal sent him right back.

Teacher Suspended After Locking Unruly Student Out Of Classroom

jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 12-12-2016, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Behavior problem or not, you can't yell things like that. Parents and students cannot hide behind the fact that a student has a behavior problem and expect to get away with that kind of talk.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

What about the student?
Old 12-12-2016, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Was he suspended and if so for how long?
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 12-12-2016, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ugh. There is no good answer. We are seeing more and more kids with these types of extreme behaviors and even admin can't do much to help the situation. So sad that a teacher reacted in a way to protect the other students and she is being punished for it. I don't know what she should have done instead and none of us do because we don't know the whole situation, but it seems to me like she had the best intentions.
PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

Katluv

I teach 4th
Old 12-12-2016, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Grade. I think I would have handled it the same way. Hard to say unless you're in that situation.

Katluv is online now   Reply With Quote

AndSoItIs

Old 12-12-2016, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't understand. What should she have done differently?
AndSoItIs is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 12-12-2016, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

What else could she have done? Teachers aren't allowed to put their hands on a student, so what was she supposed to do when he attacked another student. If she gets suspended parents can really make a statement by keeping their kids out of school until her suspsension is over. On another note, if the teacher yelled that to the superintendent, I bet she would arrested or out of a job.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

response
Old 12-12-2016, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Did anyone else feel like yelling at the superintendent's comment about "at no time were any of the students in danger" ...Of course not...the teacher kept the child out of the room!!! More and more you wonder how some people hold the positions that they do.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 12-12-2016, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is actually the mother of one of my friends. It happened a couple of years ago. She left the school.
Claire is online now   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 12-12-2016, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Sorry. The article got me so wound up that I didn't check to see when it was written.

I did not state whether or not the kid was suspended, but I would almost bet my life savings that he wasn't.

Also, I hope she left on her in accord and was not fired.

jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

madelyneva

Old 12-12-2016, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

If a store manager locked a man out of a store for threatening people shopping in the store, he would have been called a "hero."

But... the superintendent thinks differently of children in danger??

I'm sure there a many lawyers that would love to defend that teacher.
madelyneva is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 12-12-2016, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Students threatening others happens frequently where I work. The principal and guidance counselor are immediately called and the take the child to do a threat assessment.

If the class is in immediate danger from a violent student they are evacuated and the student is locked IN the room until the admin gets there. Happens every week.

It sounds like the district didn't have a clear plan in place.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 12-12-2016, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Unfortunately, I have had to deal with this kind of situation over the past couple of years.

What I do is send the class to another room and take the violent one in my room. I call for help and try to contain the violent student and keep him from hurting himself or me. Rest of the kids are safe, violent kid is supervised.

The district and school need to have a plan in place.
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

NCteacher
Old 12-12-2016, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I hope you are not alone with that child. Please stay in the doorway until another staff member can come and help. There's no telling what story the child will come up with. Even worse the child could lie and the parent would believe the little snowflake.

NCteacher

Old 12-12-2016, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Unfortunately, in the past couple of years, I've had 4 extremely violent students. I always leave the clsssroom door open and stand I. The open doorway. The teacher who would take my class stands in her doorway in case of emergency, or as a witness. Two of the kids were kindergarteners, one was a schizophrenic girl and then a boy who had something I'd never heard of- disruptive mood disorder or something like that. I have all my parents on remind, so I was always able to text the parents. Sad situations, but I see it happening more and more.
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Old 12-12-2016, 11:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

It's good to know that you are protecting yourself as well as the other children. When children act that way it truly is scary but when they are that young there is a sense of sadness too.

Since they keep assigning these special children to you have you been given training? I had a student with severe separation anxiety from his mother. At times it included hospitalization, it was that severe. My assistant principal at the time had training for safe restraint holds that he had to use. People, not in the classroom simply have no idea what it is like.

Truthy

Old 01-29-2017, 01:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I've had violent students in the past also. All of them have been under the age of ten. One was taken seriously. Two weren't due to age. One wasn't due to them being related to someone in the building. I'm not blaming the teacher, but I wonder if there was a plan in place and the teacher panicked. I say that because there have been plenty of time I followed the plans and thought "this is bunk" or was fighting my instincts the whole way. Really you are putting the other in dangers and the right of one child is violating the rights of others. At the end of the day, it's a minor. If something happens to that child, you're the one of out a job or license. Or possibly in jail. That's why, as RetiredKat said, I've never put myself at the legal risk of being alone with them. I have a drill that I teach my students the second I realize I have a child that is prone to violence. I say a certain word and they line up buddy system and I get the offending child to the front of the line. We walk to the office and I explain what happened. The child is left in the office and we return to the class.
Truthy is offline   Reply With Quote