Future Teachers

New Teacher- Curriculum

>

kk3236

New Teacher- Curriculum
Old 12-14-2016, 09:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello Everyone,

I will be a 1st year teacher in August 2017. I am excited but am having worries about if I will be teaching what I am supposed to. I do not know the school I am teaching at, so I do not know the curriculum. Obviously I am aware of the importance of teaching to the state standards, but I am worried about being left in the dark about what to teach each day. Am I going to receive some guidance? A quarterly guide? Weekly guide? Something? I keep envisioning myself being hired and left to my own devices.

Thank you!

-KK

kk3236 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 12-15-2016, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A good school will have at minimum

-an outline of the curriculum to be taught

-textbooks and other curriculum materials

-other teachers at the same grade level who can provide guidance

It is very unlikely that you will be dropped into a classroom and be given no guidance at all.

This is a great question to ask at an interview. These days, many schools have their curriculum guides available on line.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

griffon

Old 01-10-2017, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here's some advice. If you know which state you will be working in, you can look up the state standards on their Dept of Ed website. If you don't know the grade level, which I would never count on til the first day of school, take a quick glance at all the grade levels that are possible. (For example, if you're going to teach elementary, look at the standards for Kinder through 5th.)

If you know the school district you'll be in, you have it even easier. Some school districts have the curriculum listed online and you can look it up there. If it's a large school district, you can go to their main offices and ask to look at the curriculum. If it's a really small district, you can go to the school itself and ask. Most times they'll let you look at the books, or at the very least give you a list of the curriculum used.

BUT KNOW ONE THING! Don't expect to go into the classroom the first day and know all the curriculum and be able to teach everything. There are veteran teachers at my school who still have trouble with the curriculum. Schools have a tendency to switch books frequently and without notice, so teachers are left to flounder the first year or so trying to learn how to teach the new stuff. We've all been there, multiple times.

So, your first year. Take a deep breath, relax, try it yourself for about a week, then ask for help. NO ONE expects you to be an expert in anything your first year. Oh! And one last thing. It's a secret no one really says out loud, but here goes. You're not expected to teach EVERYTHING in the curriculum provided. It would be nice, but that only happens in a perfect world.
griffon is offline   Reply With Quote

SpeedLimit62

Old 01-22-2017, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

At every school I've taught at .. I came into either a curriculum or books and an idea of what to teach. For example, the first school I taught at wanted us to use balanced literacy.. so we were given plenty of guided reading books to use.

At my current school they have unit plans and many books to use.. what has been hard for me is being a special education teacher and having to modify the curriculum. At every school I've been at there was a coach I could work with. Called a team leader or master teacher.

Ask these questions during your interview. You'll be okay.
SpeedLimit62 is offline   Reply With Quote

mauiwow

What are you teaching?
Old 02-10-2017, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What subject do you plan to teach? In teacher interviews, ask the school if there is a curriculum provided. And if so, what? Also ask how is teacher planning and colleagiality at the school since you want to be able to plan with them.

mauiwow is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsrob

Old 04-03-2017, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Congrats! I will be a first year teacher as well come august! My school does already have their instructional calendar up, and they told me in the interview they provide pacing guides and the principal said she is flexible with lessons etc. doesnt micromanage but I am also scared as being left in the dark. However, I literally made myself a teaching Instagram and have felt so much better cause theres so MANY resources and ideas. I feel that now that I follow other teachers in my grade and even from my state- I feel a little NOT alot but a little confidence.

messgae me if you want to link up and talk first year gitters or anything.
mrsrob is offline   Reply With Quote