Help

New Teachers

Daily 3

>

Ninetwo

Daily 3
Old 12-20-2016, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new teacher that has been assigned a burned out mentor. She teaches exactly the same assembly line way each year. The other women on my team help me with fun things to do, but they are not my mentor so I try not to bug them too much. My mentor has never been to a mentor meeting. She says they never contacted her from the district. She asked me to find out for her what was going on with her mentor meetings. She is supposed to give me 50 hours this year. I have gotten more time from other teachers in the parking lot than from her. The principle wants us to teach small groups like Daily 3/5. My mentor is against doing this in her class, I really want to do this...whole group teaching wears me out and I feel I just reach the middle level of students. I have taught them read to self and they are at 20 min of stamina. What is my next step? It is 4th grade? Any help is appreciated!!!
Oh, and my mentor is a team member, so I don't complain to anyone for fear of making things very awkward. Plus, I like her as a person, just not a mentor.

Ninetwo is offline   Reply With Quote

dubby

Seek out mentor director/person in charge
Old 12-23-2016, 09:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First off it is HER job to contact the district and go to those meetings. If she doesn't like it she can opt out from being a mentor.

Option 1:
You need to be proactive and address to who is above your mentor and get reassigned to a new person (usually the admin or the coordinator for the mentor meetings). Will your current mentor get irritated at you? Absolutely. Will it strain your team relationship? Sure, but she is failing at her part of this relationship (in which she is most likely getting a stipend pay by the way).

When it comes down to it, you must look after your own interest. Your mentor is not going to do it for you, she has demonstrated this already. Trust me ,it's better to have a job with an awkward relationship then to not have a job at all.

Option 2:
You could also communicate to her about what you want and be firm until she gives it to you. However, I don't know how assertive you are nor do I know your coworker and how she may react. It could be very straight forward like:
"I need you to show/plan with me on small groups during this one lesson. I understand your personal stance on small groups, but I need to do this as it will be part of my evaluation. I need you right now to be my mentor."
dubby is offline   Reply With Quote