Should I ask my principal if they intend on keeping me? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

New Teachers

Should I ask my principal if they intend on keeping me?

>

Dear1234

Dear1234

Should I ask my principal if they intend on keeping me?
Old 12-21-2016, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am employed with a temporary position in kindergarten. I know that I need to look for a job by February. Should I ask my principal if they intend on keeping me or is it too early to ask?

lisa53

Old 12-22-2016, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you are hired as temporary, the district probably will require an open hiring process to fill it if it is open for next year. You would then have to reapply, although you have the advantage that they know you.

I think it is fine to ask the principal what the next step will be so you can begin to plan. Depending on the exact situation (is there a regular teacher who is on leave?) the next steps may be simple or complicated. Be aware that if they go through a hiring process, someone with amazing credentials could apply, which might mean you will still not be hired.
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Could you...
Old 12-26-2016, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe you could say something like, "I'm really enjoying this job/school/my co-workers/this community (however you wish to phrase it) and am wondering if there will be a chance I'd have a position here next year? I'll sure miss this place!"
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 02-15-2017, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It depends on your relationship with your principal. I know with my current principal I would absolutely ask this because he would be pretty honest about it and would not be bothered if I asked.

If you're not comfortable with your position, maybe you could just express interest and say how much you love the school without directly asking.
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote