Help

Fifth Grade

Who Uses Chromebooks in the Classroom?

>

teachinpitt

Who Uses Chromebooks in the Classroom?
Old 12-23-2016, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi...I may be piloting a small set of Chromebooks in January. I'm looking to hear from others who are using them now for tips, ideas, etc...

I attended online webinar PD sessions via www.simplek12.com and they helped. But, as always, it's good to chat with 'real users'

Thank you in advance!

teachinpitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Betty4567

Old 12-23-2016, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach first at a high poverty school and I'm so excited because we just got 5 chrome books for classroom use. (We also have 6 I-pads and 6 computers.)

The hidden costs: Teachers had to buy headphones and a mouse for each one. (Firsties, have a hard time not using the mouse.) I also had to get a power strip for all the devices.

Right now, we only use AR and I-station on the them. The students are not allowed to carry them around the classroom. Our I-pads have a hard case and I am terrified that they will drop the chrome book on the floor. (It already happened to the teacher next door.)

I told them it has to stay in a designated place (I know it defeats the purpose of it being a mobile device, but they are six years old and don't have a job!)

I think the sky is the limit with them. I would just make sure that parents sign an internet and computer agreement.
Betty4567 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 12-23-2016, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love using chromebooks! We have Google Classroom and I put every single assignment on it and have parents sign up to get a daily update. Even if it's not a digital assignment, I put the instructions and rubric in an assignment and they have to press submit when the paper copy is turned in. No excuses for not knowing what the work is or when it is due.

We do almost all our written work in Docs, and you can auto correct a lot of objective answer questions with Forms.

See if you can get your school to subscribe to GoGuardian. It lets you view every student's screen and all open tabs at one time from your computer. You can force open and close tabs for them, send messages, freeze their computer, and track a timeline of how long they were working on each webpage.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

calla lily

We're a GAFE(Google Apps for Education)
Old 12-26-2016, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

school so we use Google Classroom and Google Apps daily. However there are many other uses. Some of my favorites include:

Formative
Quizziz
Today's Meet
Quizlet
Adobe Spark
Popplet

I recommend following Alice Keeler on Twitter for some great ideas.
calla lily is offline   Reply With Quote

StephR

Old 12-27-2016, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We use them as well in my 5th grade class. We use the GAFE daily. Just a snippet of what we have done:
  • Collaborative slide projects where each student has one slide on a shared Google Slide (like PowerPoint)
  • Collaborative stories on Docs where the students in the group all work on the same shared doc to create one story.
  • Interactive Explorer research on Thinglink.com (this site is immensely cool)
  • Created class character trait word clouds using Google forms and ABCya.com (for the word cloud)
  • Have an ongoing Digital Yearbook of the students' work and thoughts for each month of the school year that will serve as a portfolio for their 5th grade year.
  • Use Prodigy.com and Zearn.org for math (which the students LOVE LOVE LOVE)
  • Students have "individually paced" assignments, where I can assign several students to watch a video on their own or explore a website on their own, while I am working with other students on something else.
  • Padlet.com (I find so many uses for this but basically it is a real-time message board....great for note taking or sharing thoughts. I have used this whole class and in small groups)
  • Todaysmeet.com (another great one for engaging kids in discussions...good for when you don't have a class set of chrome books too!)

Once you really get into them, doing a little research on your own on how you would like to use the Apps (like Docs or Slides) in your classroom, you will find that your teaching will be transformed. Even having a small set can create a blended learning environment in your room (definitely look up blended learning.)

Google has a training course for educators as well that I highly recommend.

StephR is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinpitt

StephR...
Old 12-27-2016, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you so much...this is exactly the type of response I was hoping for...I teach 5th Grade Science and Social Studies to 3 sections of 23 kids daily...I will only start with 3 CB's at first, but I think if I can show my admin how they engage and enhance learning, I could get more..

You mentioned Explorers...I am starting my Explorer unit after the break...I turned it into a game-based learning unit a couple of years ago, so I hope to incorporate my CB's into it somehow..

I hope you are open to more dialogue with me on this as the year progresses?? (I won't become a stalker or 'troll' as the kids say..lol)

teachinpitt

ThingLink.com
Old 12-27-2016, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I took a brief look at this site...is this like Glogster?

StephR

Old 01-03-2017, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

teachinpitt....of course we can dialogue more. I love talking about how I am trying to incorporate the chrome books into my room
StephR is offline   Reply With Quote