Help

Kindergarten

Calendar Time

>

StellaBulldog

Calendar Time
Old 12-24-2016, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone dropped their daily calendar time or made it shorter?

I ask because we had our winter assembly yesterday and spent part of Wednesday and Thursday mornings practicing. By the time we got back to the classroom it was either calendar and read a book or get in two rotations of centers. I gave them the choices to vote and before I could even start they all shouted CENTERS!!!

I like calendar time and the students seem mostly engaged. I think my fear is that I am afraid that moving the necessary components to other parts of the day will make them the first thing cut if we are short on time.

I am very interested to hear the opinions and experiences of others.

Happy Holidays!

StellaBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

ECGen23

Old 12-24-2016, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There's been a recent flurry of articles descrying the practice of calendar routines in early childhood. I think it depends on what exactly your calendar routine encompasses that determines the value. Mine has reading, writing, sequencing, and a ton of math. For example, I introduce/reinforce place value* and coin value every day. I still think it is beneficial. I begin the year with few things and then add in as we go. Mine takes about 15 minutes a day.

*When I introduce base ten, nearly all my kids "get" it and that's because we've been building up to it in calendar routines all yer.
ECGen23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 12-24-2016, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love calendar time and feel that it's one of the most valuable and consistent times in our day and math block. Mine goes two different ways:

Before winter break - we do whole group calendar, learning the routines and skills. The things we do every day during calendar time are counting, skip counting, counting from a number other than 1, number recognition, numbers before and after, days and months, base 10 (with our tally marks, tens frames, and base 10 blocks), tracking numbers on the 100's chart and looking for patterns, and tracking weather.

After winter break we start calendar notebooks. We do much of the above but it adds writing the numbers, place value with written numbers, addition and subtraction, representing numbers in different ways, and working (in many ways) with the 100's chart.

I wouldn't give it up because it provides so much practice and review, plus I can differentiate so well and really push my higher students.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 12-25-2016, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I introduce many math skills as the other posters have mentioned and will be bringing in solid shapes and their attributes when we return. I haven't tackled a calendar notebook or written piece yet but am interested in recommendations for that kind of product if anyone has any. I consider this math meeting integral to math instruction each day.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

anna
Old 12-25-2016, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I pieced together our calendar notebook from different (free) packs on tpt. I seem to adjust it a bit every year, but right now ours has:

• a page for each number 1-31 - we use these to show numbers in different ways and each day we work with whatever number goes with the date
  • a calendar page for the month where they fill in the number each day and color it to reflect our pattern
  • a wipe-off page (in a sheet protector) with many skills - the number of days we've been in school, finding the day of the week, base 10, tally marks, tens frames, number line, printing and writing the number of the date, and a daily problem
  • a wipe-off page with a 100's chart
  • a wipe-off page with a blank 100's chart
I find that it's a great way to increase the rigor of calendar after winter break.

Luv2TeachInTX

Old 12-25-2016, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I keep mine for a variety of reasons. Days of the week, months of the year, countdowns to special days, patterning, skip counting, counting forwards and backwards, place value, money, telling time... There are so many important skills to be taught during calendar. I couldn't imagine not using it.
Luv2TeachInTX is offline   Reply With Quote

ECGen23

Old 12-25-2016, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I haven't tackled a calendar notebook or written piece yet but am interested in recommendations for that kind of product if anyone has any.
We do Calendar Journal. It is much simpler in August, and I add a thing or two each month, increasing the complexity. I attached an old August example below and will put May in a different post. This shows how some supports are removed and other tasks added as we progress.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf August Calendar Journal.pdf (261.0 KB, 30 views)

ECGen23

May Calendar Journal
Old 12-25-2016, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

And end of year. It's crazy how much their skills change in such a short time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf May Calendar.pdf (215.5 KB, 34 views)

anna

Old 12-25-2016, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

thanks so much for the tips and attachments sbkangas and ECGen I am motivated to give this a try knowing it will be well worth it!
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

ECGen23

Old 12-25-2016, 11:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Holler if you have interest in the other months. It gives you a starting point, if nothing else.

Lakeside

Old 12-26-2016, 02:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I would keep it in your routine, but not stress if you occasionally have to skip it.

P.S. - I love the idea of making the number of the day in different ways!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

StellaBulldog

Old 12-26-2016, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thanks everyone. I want to keep calendar time and I am going to. I guess I just need to change it a little bit as this is my first class that doesn't seem to really like it, well at least as much as the others. It is a time packed full of learning and really important concepts. Plus it is student led in my class, which I think works well.

I guess the main reason I was feely iffy on it was because we occasionally have college students come and and observe. Whenever they observe calendar their faces make me feel like I am not keeping up with the times as well as I think I am.
StellaBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

ECGen
Old 12-26-2016, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Do you have a page for each day of the month, and then give them a new one each month? Or are those pages reusable each day? Trying to picture how you do it...

We just have one and use it Jan-June. The only thing we add is the monthly calendar every time we hit a new month.

I love seeing how everyone has their own spin on things like this!

ECGen23

Old 12-26-2016, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Hey Sbkangas! Yes, it's a big waste of paper/ink, but I copy the daily calendar pages on the back sides of other copies to minimize waste. I also have it on the Promethean Board. It's a weekly "job" and one kid gets to fill it in on the P Board. Each month from August-May is different.

broomrider

for whatever it's worth
Old 12-30-2016, 10:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I felt that doing catching up for the days we missed (when we had to miss a day or two) was also a learning experience. "We missed two days, so the third plus two is _______?" "Will that be odd or even?" "How many straws/pennies/cubes do we need to add?"

This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but we made the date with coins, unified cubes in a frame that allowed a stack of two to show odd and even, if time wrote addition and subtraction equations to equal the date, etc.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote