Help

New Teachers

P.E. Woes

>

lokyo9

P.E. Woes
Old 01-01-2017, 10:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good evening all and happy New Year! I am a first year teacher currently teaching at a charter school. I feel like I am in a constant struggle and the thought of going back to work makes me unable to enjoy anything that I do. I am constantly anxious and I catch myself holding my breath. I am considering quitting midyear and am seeking either classroom management advice or guidance to departing my current teaching situation.

As mentioned before, I am a first year teacher that started off as most, excited about the new school year. I teach 6-8th grade, which is fun and challenging. I knew that I would be working with large class sizes. I knew that I would be working on a shared campus (my school is one of 3 middle schools that share a campus). I knew that I would be working in a low socioeconomic area, serving a large minority group. Initially, I didn't have a problem with that. However, I had no idea what I was in for. I only teach 4 classes, which sounds great but my class average is 65 students at once (63 is my smallest and 69 is my largest). Since we share a campus, the P.E. teachers all have a scheduled rotation where we are all assigned certain spaces of the campus for one month at a time. This is an issue when I'm trying to teach my class and trying to keep them focused while other schools are out to lunch. Not only are there distractions having the other students from other schools around but it becomes even more difficult to keep those students from interacting with my students. I've already had a physical incident occur between students of other schools and my own students. There was another incident where I was able to prevent a cross school altercation from happening.

I am in a teacher induction program and am supposed to have a "mentor" that comes to observe me. He's observed me one time for about 5 minutes this past semester and isn't really offering me support that I need. On top of all of these things, I find it difficult to give the students with IEPs the attention they need, well any of the students the attention they need for that matter. I have talked to my principal about my troubles and safety concerns. He knows the P.E. department has too many students in each class, and was throwing the idea of hiring a 3rd P.E. teacher for next year. I just don't know if I can stick it out until then.

I don't feel like giving 65 students to one person is conducive to a productive and safe learning environment but I'm worried that leaving mid-year would look really bad on me if I were to apply for another teaching position for next year. I find myself stressed out more and more every day. The thought of things getting better seems far out of reach for me. I'm not sure what I should do.

lokyo9 is offline   Reply With Quote