Sick day or no sick day? I never accounted for this scenario - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Sick day or no sick day? I never accounted for this scenario

>

Sirsubalot

Sick day or no sick day? I never accounted for this scenario
Old 01-05-2017, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It never occurred to me what I might do if this ever happened,but it did happen on Tuesday.

I am wondering if I blew it.

I mentioned a long time ago that I lost $250 last year when my largest district conveniently forget to send out the memo stating we need to cancel our existing job and then call the school office that morning in order to get sick pay.

I got no sick pay since I accepted no job when I was sick.

I was sick on Tuesday, but decided I would drag myself into work only if I got a good job.

School started at 8 AM, but the only offer I got came at 8:08 after school had started. It was not a good job so i passed.

I then wondered if I should have taken the job, then cancelled it immediately to get paid for a sick day.
I would have had to tell the office manager why I did this, and hope that she would be understanding.

i also would have to hope cancellation was permitted on Aesop under this situation.

I lost $125.

Should I have taken the job, and then tried to cancel immediately?

What would you have done?

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-05-2017, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In our district, even subs on long term assignments do not get paid for sick days. You don't work, you don't get paid.

Unfortunate, but unless you are a site sub guaranteed work, no play, no pay.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 01-05-2017, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is a state law in California called AB 1522. It started last year.

If they had a choice, the districts would certainly not allow sick pay.

This is why I am quite sure it was no accident that the district " forgot" to send us the memo stating the details.

Their " oversight" cost me $250, but this is what they want.

mooba1

Old 01-05-2017, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm amazed you'd get sick pay as a sub. That's unheard of here in Texas.

What would I have done? I would feel horribly guilty all day if I'd taken the job, then immediately cancelled. Heck, when I was teaching full time, I felt guilty taking a sick day even when I was as sick as a dog. Silly, I know.

Wouldn't the district see that you'd taken the job and then turned right around and cancelled b/ c you were sick? Seems to me they'd see right through that.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Ca
Old 01-05-2017, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I sub in CA in four districts and only do middle school and high school and about 98% of my jobs are booked 3-30 days or longer in advance, I think two of my districts offer sick pay, but I have never used it. I guess if I get sick on one of my scheduled days I could use it. Also, although I do not generally take long term sub jobs, I guess if you got sick while working one of those sick time would work.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-05-2017, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't usually engage in this kind of conversation, but I really feel like I must confess. I don't understand how you can feel like it is a right of yours to get sick pay for a job that is an "as needed" situation. If you were a permanent sub, I would completely understand, but it isn't. Subbing isn't set up as a regular job with benefits. Sick pay is a benefit. If you can decide that you don't want to work one day and not take a job, it isn't ethical to also decide that you don't want to work as you are too sick, so quick nab a job, then turn it down and put in for sick pay. What is stopping a person from doing that very often?

I worked as a sub. It was "extra money" not what I relied on for my bills. Now, it certainly could have been a situation where it was the only job I could get and I might have needed it for bill paying and survival, but at the same time I would have looked for a permanent position in order to get benefits and regular pay, and hopefully, sick pay.

I could see getting sick pay for jobs lined up for days in advance. Not for last minute job picks. Taking sub jobs in order to turn around and put in for sub pay is probably one of the bigger reasons why sick pay isn't a benefit in so many jobs. Sorry if that isn't what you wanted to hear.

Sublime

Old 01-05-2017, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Like the above post I wouldn't have done it. I am also in CA. We did not get a good explanation of how to use the sick pay so I didn't bother with it. After the first year I finally went in to the school district office to find out how to get the sick pay. And since then I have used it twice on jobs that were scheduled in advance...however, I was sick on those days and would have been miserable if I had gone in. It's nice to have but I won't use it unless I'm sick. Nice to save it for when I do get sick, because with the runny noses starting soon, I'm probably going to need it.

To Kahlua: sick pay is limited. I don't know the rate but we get 1 hour sick pay per a certain number of hours worked. You can't just take any amount of sick days you want because it's certainly not a huge rate.
Sublime is online now   Reply With Quote

jeopardyfan

Old 01-06-2017, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'd take the job and cancel it, call in for my sick pay and feel no shame---it is a legal benefit you're entitled to as a sub in your area, so you might as well use it. I wish we were given sick pay here, but we aren't. Is the sick pay you get per district? Ie every so many hours of work for district A gets you however many hours of sick pay for them, and same with district B or whatever?
jeopardyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 01-06-2017, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I too am in CA and have some sick days accumulated, I cancelled a job in December due to not feeling well after some dental work. I requested the sick day, we get paid next week so we'll see what happens. When we cancel, using a sick day is one of the options we can click on.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 01-06-2017, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I certainly understand the dissenters. i was sick on Tuesday,but I could have dragged myself in.

I did use a sick day on Wednesday when I was little worse.

I picked up a job at 5:49 AM and cancelled it immediately so as not to create an inconvenience.

We are only allowed 24 hours ( three days) of sick pay per year, but if we don't use it, we lose it.

Since the district refuses to pay us for any unused sick pay, I would have had felt no guilt whatsoever, especially since they cost me $250 last year due to an "administrative oversight".

if we were able to accumulate sick pay like everyone else, this would be a non-issue.

Sirsubalot

Old 01-06-2017, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We get one hour sick pay for every 30 hours worked.

My other district carries over sick pay for one year, so it is a little more fai.

The district in question does not carry it over at all.

Sublime

Old 01-06-2017, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If we accept a job in the morning for that day we cannot cancel on aesop. We have to call the sub coordinator. So I wouldn't do that! I'd have to explain why I chose the job but decided I was sick 2 minutes later.
Sublime is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-06-2017, 09:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I've also never heard of sick pay for an "as-needed" employment position. I'm curious about it! You mentioned 24 hours for the year- does every registered sub get that no matter how many days they work? For teachers, sick days depend on whether they are p/t or f/t (at least in my experience), so I wonder if days worked matter for the sub sick day benefit. Otherwise, could a sub "in the system" who worked no days still get 3 days paid for free?? That would make no sense. It also doesn't seem fair that a sub who works 5 days the year could get the same sick benefit as one who works 150 days.

I also wonder if taking the job and immediately cancelling it would count as far as getting your sick pay. It would seem to be a very obvious ploy to get the pay whereas cancelling a job you accepted previously would seem more genuine (like an actual "sick day"). It stinks that you can't bank any hours not used- that hardly seems fair if they're going to give you the hours. Before I tried to do the "accept/cancel" thing (which, honestly, would feel pretty crappy to me), I would want to be sure on how it worked and whether that was acceptable.

I have a p/t weekend job in which I apparently accumulate sick time. It's like being a sub in that I'm asked to work specific weekend days and I can accept or decline. I've never called in sick, so I have no idea what happens with my sick time. I was surprised to see I had some! I've been there since 2014, so I know my time has accumulated (and it's not a lot- I only have several days' worth so far). I'm told when I leave I can maybe get that pay back, so that's awesome if true. Because even my boss has no idea how I would ever use that benefit while still working here!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 01-07-2017, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

As stated previously, we earn one sick day per 30 hours worked, so you would not earn all three days unless you have worked 90 days for the year.

I do not know, however if it is retroactive. We have until June 15 to send in the paperwork for sick pay.

Last year, I wrote a note to the personnel department requesting sick pay for days I did not accept jobs due to illness, explaining that I never got the memo explaining one needs to cancel an existing job.

The sub coordinator called to to tell my request had been denied , but she added that if it was up to her, she would have given it to me.

It was not her decision unfortnately.

Subs should not have to work the system to get our earned sick pay, but since the districts are too cheap to simply pay us for what we don't use, it could be the only way to get what we are entitled.

I think that at least some sub coordinators understand this.

Last edited by Sirsubalot; 01-07-2017 at 12:49 PM..

practice

interesting
Old 01-07-2017, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

There are many days that our district says that a sub is not available. This do this hoping the teacher will come in sick and teach. Which is usually what happens. Or teachers have to split the class btw the other grade level. Ex. If Mrs. C is sick and there is no sub, then her class is divided in half and half go to Mrs. A's class and half go to Mrs. B's class.

It is unfortunate what a district will do to save money.
practice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 01-08-2017, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am a bit surprised by the dissenters. I earned those 3 days a year of sick pay and I will use them. I didn't ask for them, they were granted by the CA legislature. It is 1 hour for every 30 hours worked, with a max of 3 days per year. It is my money and I earned it.

kahluablast

Old 01-08-2017, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Regular teacher here and if I had the same attitude about my sick days, I wouldn't have a job. It is good to have sick days, but in my district, they aren't a "right." If I had to use as many days as I get for many years, I am sure I would be marked ineffective and be fighting to keep my job. We don't get them when we retire, either. You just say goodbye to all those hours.

I like the idea of paying subs for sick days, if it is a day they had arranged and then got sick on. It makes me a little annoyed though that subs think it is an ethical thing to take one in order to take a sick day. I think those types of behaviors are why most states don't even consider offering them for at will employees.

Sirsubalot

Tapdance..
Old 01-08-2017, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

The dissenters are allowed to accumulate sick pay endlessly, and get paid for any unused days when they retire( I think ). Subs cannot accumulate sick pay, and that is the difference that some might not understand.

I used none of last years sick days due to lack of information and they are gone for good. I could have had $250 more dollars in my pocket had the district not intentionally kept us in the dark.

Although I did not get a reply, last year I wrote Lorena Gonzales, the author of AB 1522, asking her to consider adopting legislation that would require districts to allow us to get paid for unused sick pay. I also explained why.

I am a realist. I do not expect anything to be done on our behalf, but I at least wanted to make an effort.

Tapdancesub

Sirsubalot...
Old 01-08-2017, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I applaud your effort in writing Lorena Gonzales. My two unused sick days cost me $240.

Sirsubalot

Kahuablast...
Old 01-08-2017, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I guess i was wrong.

Maybe it depends on the district, but I have talked to teachers who say they have many sick days accumulated.

The other key difference, however, is that when you are truly sick, you are 100% certain you will get paid for the day.

When we are sick, we have to be fortunate enough to have a job already scheduled, otherwise we are denied the sick pay that this legislation is ostensibly supposed to afford us.

I do not plan to abuse the system and try to get paid when I am really not sick, but when I am sick, I want to be compensated, and not penalized for not having a job scheduled.

Even after losing $250 dollars due to district negligence, I easily could have pretended to be sick for 1-3 days and collected sick pay last year, but I chose not to do so.

GraceKrispy

Old 01-08-2017, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Quote:
As stated previously, we earn one sick day per 30 hours worked, so you would not earn all three days unless you have worked 90 days for the year.
My miss. Guess I didn't read as closely as I thought.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

elem2middle

Wow
Old 01-12-2017, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I can't believe there are subs that get sick pay. I always saw sick pay as a benefit that one would need to be full time or part-time permanent to earn. I assume these subs are higher quality than what we have in our state. While we have many wonderful subs we also have have several that are just a warm body that may or may not monitor students.
elem2middle is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I think...
Old 01-13-2017, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

...that accepting a sub assignment, then cancelling it moments later so that one could claim "sick day" status would be unethical. Personally, I would not be able to do it. I think that the sick day is intended to provide for a substitute that had pre-scheduled a day of work, then subsequently found themselves sick and unable to work.

I doubt districts would pay for that kind of obvious fraud, and if you tried it, you might find yourself out of work altogether.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Private Eyes..
Old 01-13-2017, 10:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I think it was unethical for the district to withhold the memo that stated we need to have a job scheduled to collect sick pay.

I do not think this bill was intended to be a crap shoot.

But that is what it becomes. We have no control over whether we have a job scheduled when we become ill.

Sick pay should not be a game of chance.

We are either entitled to sick pay or we are not. If we get sick, and have worked the necessary hours to qualify for sick pay, then we should get it.

I do not consider this fraud.

PrivateEyes

We have a difference of opinion
Old 01-14-2017, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

If the district was unethical, does that entitle others to be unethical?
I think not.

However, I see that some California districts have an option in absence management to decline a job offering based on sickness, which then gives them sick day pay. Perhaps you can inquire of your district as to when they will institute such a system.

See
http://www.hemetusd.org/apps/pages/i...pREC_ID=811660
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Funny...
Old 01-14-2017, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I did just that in Absence Management and it didn't work. I had some dental work in December and my face swelled up like a chipmunk. I cancelled my job for the following day and requested a sick day. I got paid last week and no sick day. So I need to call the district office on Tuesday. If I earned the days I am going to use them.

Sirsubalot

PrivateEyes..
Old 01-14-2017, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I believe that it would only be unethical if I tried to get sick pay when I was not sick.

I would actually not consider it unethical in my case until I used two sick days when I was not truly sick, in order to compensate me for the lost $250 due to the district's " negligence".

I have chosen not to do this, however.

Sacramentokid

Old 01-17-2017, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

hi! I'm looking to start subbing next school year and I was wondering if you could give me a few pointers. I saw in your post that you get scheduled 3-30 days out, how do you do this? Also I'm in Sacramento what districts/area do you work for, do they keep you busy? I'm hoping I'll get lots of calls!
Sacramentokid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 01-17-2017, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Being booked days in advance usually happens after you have been subbing for a while. Teachers get to know you and if they like your work you get requested. Word gets around and soon you are booked in advance.

Tessa_Rue

Old 01-30-2017, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I'm just wondering, sirsubsalot, if you work independently or is through a staffing company? When I first started subbing I just applied to the districts, but in later years, most of the districts contracted through different companies.

Part of why I am asking is because you state it was the district's negligence in not sending out that memo, and I was just trying to ascertain whether or not they were required to send out this memo. Was there a provision for it in the law that was passed?
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 01-31-2017, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I do believe they are legally obligated to send out a memo OR post the information.

There are three ways the district satisfied their legal obligation to inform us about the sick pay bill. but none of them help us.

First.they are legally required to put up a poster of this information at every school in an obvious location, but I have seen it at fewer than half the schools.

This poster does nothing to help us, however, because it is a government issued poster that does not explain how sick pay can be collected.

Second, there was also a district memo about the bill posted in the district office that was printed specifically for the district, but it said nothing about how to specifically collect sick pay.

Third, there was a notification memo posted on AESOP that was there for about one or two days before disappearing. Some AESOP notifications are posted for months.

NONE of these three notifications mention that we need to cancel an existing job in order to collect sick pay.

It was only a fourth version of the memo that most subs never received that explains how the district allows payment of sick pay.