Career Decisions

Leaving teaching for another career.

>

TooConfused

TooConfused

Leaving teaching for another career.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Honestly I'm not sure where I'm going with my teaching career. The more time I spend in teaching the more I don't feel that I've chosen the right profession. Perhaps it's because I'm not in the right environment, but I already feel burnt out after a year. I'm anxious and tired of dealing with co-workers, admin, and students with multiple behavior problems. My low salary doesn't help.

I've considered quitting and getting a job outside of teaching just to see what's out there. The thought of going back to college is extremely daunting and not something I can afford or have time for at the moment. I've already spent 5 years in school (4 getting my degree and 1 year getting my certification) and although I'm not too old by any means to start over I feel like I spent too much time and money in the wrong career.

I'm not sure what to do from here. I have some ideas about other careers and degrees I would like to pursue, but I don't want to make any rush decisions.

If you have successfully left teaching what did you end up doing? Did you pursue another career? Go back to school? What could I do with my certification and liberal arts degree?

eeza

leaving teaching
Old 01-11-2017, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I left teaching, but I went back to school to be a school psychologist. I may end up leaving education altogether at some point though, so take my words with a grain of salt.

If you have only been in the profession for one year, you may want to try a different school, district, grade level, or socioeconomic area. Teaching looks different depending on the environment.

If you do decide to try something else out, you may want to take a leave of absence rather than just quit. You may need to be permanent to do that though.

Best of luck!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 01-15-2017, 01:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm considering a career change after 11 years of full time teaching...13 teaching in general.

I've considered HR, 911 dispatcher, social work, principal, editing lol. For me though salary is a big deal(widowed single mom) so nothing really calls to me at the moment. I also don't eish for more school...

A lot of people who leave get an office type of job...
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

BritishPanda

My thoughts
Old 01-15-2017, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Personally, I don't recommend going back to school unless you absolutely have to. College is a big investment so unless you are 100% certain about the path you want, I don't recommend going back to school.

Before you decide on what to do, I definitely recommend taking time out to see what things interest you, what skills you do have, and what you absolutely need as part of your career. A lot of things you did in a classroom are transferable for other skills. Once you took some time to think about what you want, then you can start researching careers that interest you and match the skills you have.

When I decided to leave teaching, I thought about going back to school and getting another degree. However that was a big investment for me. After getting tons of rejection letters, I took time to regroup and that's when I discovered What Color is Your Parachute? by Richard N. Bolles which changed my life and help me figure out what I should be looking for. Once I finished the book, I started using what he talked about in my job search and discovered computer programming. Today I am a web developer and build websites from scratch. I've been talking to so many teachers on here about my story that I've been playing around with the idea of creating an master class or online course about how to make transition from teaching to tech. I may be biased since I'm in tech, but tech is awesome and so flexible. There are tons of resources and the community is fantastic. I love my job and am much happier now.

If you are interested in leaving teaching, I recommend starting to look at what skills you do have and begin researching careers that interest you. Reach out to people in careers that interest you so you can see what you gravitate towards.
BritishPanda is offline   Reply With Quote

rethread

Career Change and comment for British Panda
Old 01-29-2017, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love teaching and get excited when I am doing it but the truth is, it is overwhelming and stressful. Kids are not the same and parents are either not involved at all or they want you to act like their child is the only one in the class...I get that...they are precious babies. I also take issue with how teachers are belittled and forced to ignore behavioral issues so the school doesn't get audited as a problem school. I have spent most of my teaching in low-income districts where very resources make it our way and we make do. My husband wants me to return to teaching but I can't and I have an interview this week but I really want to do something else, but I don't know what. I can't afford to go back to school as I am still paying off loans and I certainly don't want to sit at a desk all day.

Also, not sure if I would be good at coding...I have adult ADD which can be debilitating at times so I have to be moving, creating, doing all the time. It was one of the reasons I was good at teaching but also a curse. Anyway, I would like some information from British Panda but I can't send a PM because I am a newbie. Any info would be great.

rethread is offline   Reply With Quote

BritishPanda

Take some time for soul searching
Old 01-29-2017, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
My husband wants me to return to teaching but I can't and I have an interview this week but I really want to do something else, but I don't know what. I can't afford to go back to school as I am still paying off loans and I certainly don't want to sit at a desk all day.
It sounds like you are still not 100% sure what you want to do and that is ok. I can understand the need to jump quickly from one career to another due to loans, bills, etc. I definitely suggest taking time to research other careers, talk to other people in careers you are interested in. That's some of the ideas covered in What Color is Your Parachute and the book actually makes you do an exercise to help you think about what skills and interests you have along with what aspects of a job you absolutely need.

Programming isn't just about sitting around reading code all day. Although coding is an important part of the job, you can find other positions which don't have coding at all. Its just important in tech to know how to code so you can better give directions to developers or understand the process developers take to build websites and apps. Again I know people who like to create, move, etc. in programming and they do lots of web design or non-technical work.

I'll send you a PM in just a minute. However I definitely agree with you about the school aspect. Going back to school is something that requires a big investment so unless you are 100% certain that is the path you want to take, I'd avoid it as much as possible.
BritishPanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Beckeroni

Hang in there for another year.....
Old 02-04-2017, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

These decisions are the "big" ones and personally hit home. I resigned from a district two years ago January. Consider your financial circumstances and try to make the best of each day on the job while you contemplate and investigate other avenues that match your likes and interests. Maintain a good attitude too. Go into each day "turning over another leaf" seeing a new perspective and changing things up a bit. Meanwhile, consider who your supports are and how strong those relationships are, because those are the people you will need to have financially if unemployment becomes a long haul. While I am juggling 3 part-time jobs, my mom is filling in the gaps on what my paychecks do not cover. Its hard to go from full-time with benefits to part-time work. When I left the average unemployment period was 6-9 months. I am not sure if that remains the case today. Read and use your time wisely while employed. Maybe try to find other avenues within the district you work before quitting. As for as teaching as a career, it may not be your calling in life. There are career assessments you can take through universities. Maybe look into taking one and discussing results with a counselor on staff. I know they are free if you go through the college through which you obtained your degree. All in all, only you can answer what's best for yourself. Not sure of your faith, but leaning on God brings assurance. Good luck in your decision.
Beckeroni is offline   Reply With Quote