Help

Teacher News & Opinion

inauguration

>

SoCalTeach

inauguration
Old 01-11-2017, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So 8 years ago my school had President Obama's inauguration on TVs across the school. It was a momentous occasion, with he being our first African-American president.

So my question is... is anyone planning to show Trump's inauguration? Why or why not?

SoCalTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 01-11-2017, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think I will. Regardless of your opinion of him, he is still becoming the president of the United States and any inauguration is a big, historical day in our country. I feel like it's an important educational experience for our students.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherpippi

Old 01-11-2017, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am not in the classroom right now. I don't think I would. I wouldn't have a problem with any other president in recent history and showing their inauguration. It's not about one party or another. I can't trust that he will keep his speech appropriate. I would gladly show at least a portion of it the day after but he says a lot of things that aren't appropriate for elementary ears.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 01-11-2017, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No. I have many Hispanic students and they are afraid of what he is going to do.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 01-11-2017, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with TeacherPippi about the possibility of non-school appropriate messages. I also have a lot of Hispanic and Muslim students who are scared of what he will do. Believe it or not, a couple of my students have started anti-Trump chants in the cafeteria. Seriously don't think they could be heard by many. I heard them.
Anyway.....we have inauguration day off so it's a non-issue for me.

cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 01-11-2017, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The swearing in is scheduled during lunch our lunch. We watched President Obama being sworn in and were late for lunch. Lesson learned? Don't EVER be late for lunch. The lunch ladies and aides get ssooo angry. So, no, I won't be watching.
bandmom is online now   Reply With Quote

peggy27

Old 01-11-2017, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

No, i have a class of 3/4 Hispanics. Many of our families took time off to visit family in Mexico before he became President. I am still wavering on reading our Scholastic News that has him on the cover.

I personally am not watching anything to do with it.
peggy27 is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

No.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I teach students with disabilities, and some of them know how he has mocked someone with a physical disability like theirs. I also have several Hispanic students, whose families are scared of him.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

agree
Old 01-12-2017, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I agree with teacherpippi. I'm also retired so it is a non-issue for me. However if I were still in the classroom I know how I would handle it. Because of all the testing this month, teaching time is at a premium. Also the internet has changed tremendously in the past 8 years. Videos of the inauguration will be readily available on YouTube. So I would refer any child that might express an interest in viewing it to watch it together, at home, with his/her family.

BTW, it was interesting to learn in the last few days that he never mocked a disabled reporter. Apparently, those are just normal hand gestures he has used for years. Don't you feel better now?
RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 01-12-2017, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

No . I also threw away the Scholastic Reader with his picture on the front and went on to read the issue on Polar animals

anna is offline   Reply With Quote

hnadeau

Inauguration
Old 01-13-2017, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Yes - I will show it. It is a current event.
hnadeau is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

My kids absolutely HATE Trump
Old 01-13-2017, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

and would not listen to him for a minute. As an example, in a unit on argument, I played Michelle Obama's DNC speech and Ivanka Trump's speech introducing her father at the RNC. They listened, rapt, to Michelle, but wouldn't let Ivanka speak. They talked back to the screen and booed her and didn't want to hear it. There is no way they would watch this. My kids are highly gifted 8th graders and they have very well-formed political opinions. They also have highly educated parents and I'm sure they're also mirroring their parents' opinions, but it's the way they feel.

Thankfully, we're off on Inauguration Day, so it's a non-problem.
maryteach is online now   Reply With Quote

funkster

I am sorry to hear
Old 01-13-2017, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

that the students booed her. Okay, I do find myself shouting at the tv or computer about the things Donald tweets and says, but I do it in private like I also do other inappropriate things. In public it really isn't acceptable.
I would have loved, because I am really into what people think and why they think it, to have the students listen to the speech and take notes. After the speech they could talk about what they disagreed with and why they disagreed.

I think there needs to always be a conversation about what is happening and protest when things are wrong. Saving energy to protest is so much better than refusing to listen and booing. I hope you have a conversation of ways Americans can actively oppose bad ideas instead of just expressing dislike. We are counting on these bright young students for our future.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-13-2017, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm not a classroom teacher, so this isn't a decision I will have to make in practice, but I wouldn't show it if it to my elementary students if it were up to me due to the reasons that others listed. I would worry about the speech being inappropriate, we have many Latino students who are scared, and I don't want to appear to my students to be endorsing the things he's said. Like it's been said many times, this election cycle is different and its so much bigger than worrying about political views or political parties. George W certainly wouldn't have been my choice for president either, but I would have no problem showing his inauguration as an important current event. The current concerns aren't something we've ever had to worry about before. I've only been teaching for 7 years, so I wasn't teaching when Obama was sworn in.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

maryteach

Funkster
Old 01-14-2017, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Please understand that the kids I teach have a MUCH HIGHER IQ than either you or me and have much more developed political opinions than many adults I know. And they know when someone is a bigot and they know when someone is frankly stupid. They do not put up with stupid. Notice I didn't say that they won't listen to opinions they disagree with. They read and listen to opinions they disagree with quite often. It's called education. What I said was they won't put up with stupid. These kids are going to be neurosurgeons and lawyers who graduate from Harvard, adults like that. They are completely unlike any kids I have ever taught. They will not give any time at all to something they know is beneath them. They discuss politics and world events all the time. They read and listen to the news as a daily habit. The kids most of the rest of you teach, and the kids I taught before this year, do not have credentials anywhere even close to these kids. Not even in the same ballpark.

Kids who have the accomplishments on their resumes that these kids do (one girl has played at Carnegie Hall--twice--not a school function. SHE played Carnegie Hall) have earned the right to choose. At least twenty of them are not only quint-lingual, they are quint-literate. Sorry, but these kids have more than earned the space to say they don't want to listen to Ivanka Trump. If they were in public, yes, they were raised well and they would not boo, but in their classroom, I'm giving them the right. They own their classroom. They decide their tasks, assign themselves work, evaluate themselves and each other, decide where their learning is going next. They discuss more than you can imagine, from all aspects.

Oh yeah, and as a side note--these are kids whose families immigrated here and they are more than a little bit worried about the discrimination and backlash they may face now. Go ahead and boo, kids. I'm booing along with you, just in my head.

Maybe people should have been rude and booed Hitler.

luvtulearn

interesting. . .
Old 01-14-2017, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Eight years ago we had an African American superintendent (she and her husband were quite politically active in LA) that was very disappointed that our president STRONGLY encouraged the students in school to watch his inauguration but did nothing to make that happen. He just assumed we all had the capabilities and could hook up. This was a school that had a population of 99% free lunch students. Besides she also felt, as an Obama supporter I might add, that the students were in class to learn as much as possible and any president's speech was not going to make them successful in life. They have to pave their own way to success by being active participants in school not marveling at other peoples success stories. Interesting that Sasha, president Obama's youngest daughter was not at her own dad"s Farewell Address the other night because she too, had a large exam to take and the school's strict guidelines were no excused absences permitted. I personally feel that students should watch the inauguration outside of school and later on when it's pertinent to the lesson view parts needed to teach the topic.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 01-14-2017, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

As Teacherpippi said, who knows what he might say or do at the inauguration?? I also teach several Hispanic students and one at least one is of Mexican heritage. Her family is extremely upset and frightened about things. Some of her brother's classmates were making fun of him and calling him some of the names that Mr. Trump used. It was HORRIBLE. I cannot in good conscience bring any of that into my classroom.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

2sankofa

Old 01-14-2017, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

My students asked if we would watch it. My response, while taking a sip out of my I am one of the 63M who voted against Trump mug...um are you kidding me? They were happy with my response.

I have too many students who are worried about their families being deported or the Muslim ban. There is no way in HELL, I would do that to them.
2sankofa is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

maryteach
Old 01-14-2017, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I don't think we really disagree.

I think it might have been ineffective to boo Hitler. I am old school and think the sit ins were a very successful option.
I loved the way President Obama shut down the booing during his speeches. He confirmed what the Freedom of Speech is and then described how to protest and stand up for one's beliefs against others' hate and bias.

They may be slightly shutting themselves off from some good ideas if they refuse to listen to people they think are beneath them. I remember Neil DeGrasse Tyson talking about a scientist that started as someone who just cleaned the lab floor and went on to be one of the greatest scientist ever. (age darn it, forgot which scientist he was) There are incredible people out there that excel in one area yet seem beneath us in everyday life. Actually we can learn from everyone.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

funkster
Old 01-15-2017, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Fair enough.

I do realize that you and I agree on just about everything, and I appreciate your input on this.

Thanks for always being open minded, intelligent, and articulate.

Mary

lovemyjob7777

That
Old 01-22-2017, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Would have been a teachable moment for you.
lovemyjob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote