Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Seeking Advice About Big Title 1 Changes at My School

>

RtI_Teacher

Seeking Advice About Big Title 1 Changes at My School
Old 01-12-2017, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school is a Title 1 school. Until recently, we've been meeting with groups of 3-4 students at a time for 45 minutes (30 minutes for math). This includes grades K-4 for reading and math (separately). There are a few teachers and administrators who would like me to pilot a new Tier 3 model for our school. This would be one-on-one instruction for about 10 minutes per student instead of small groups for 45 minutes. This is very different from what I'm used to and I'm excited to try something new and give them my opinion on the potential effectiveness of the change.
I'm seeking advice about where to start. I can't work on anything from in the classroom; that would end up making this more like Study Hall instead of Title 1 interventions. We have several interventions but they're usually meant take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. Beyond flashcards, are there any ideas you could send my way? Possibly a way to modify these interventions? I have some ideas of my own but would love input.

The current interventions I have for reading are:
Visualizing Verbalizing
Seeing Stars
Quick Reads
The 6 Minute Solution
Soar to Success
Early Success
GATE
Reading A-Z (or RAZ Kids)
Heggerty
WonderWorks

RtI_Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cabernet

Old 01-12-2017, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This article from reading rockets may help you.

http://www.readingrockets.org/articl...rogress-tier-3

One thing I thought was stated that was important is to break the intervention into small segments throughout the day. So the interventions you currently use may be effective if split in this way. Remember that tier three should be receiving more support than tier two.

Another statement reminds to not move on if a student has not grasped the concept.
cabernet is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

be sure
Old 01-13-2017, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

that it's 10 minutes of face to face time and doesn't include movement from classroom to working space. You'd end up with about 5 minutes or less if transit time is included.

For reading intervention you might try the writing element of reading recovery lessons a few times a week. In a booklet made of blank pages, the child writes one self-created sentence with teacher support for letter sound correspondence, letter formation, grammar, quick writing of known/sight words, etc. The teacher then prints the sentence by hand on a narrow strip of paper and cuts to separate the individual words. Sometimes cutting apart also on set & rime or plural or possessive markers and prefix/suffix and work on their meanings for older students. Then the student reassembles the sentence and reads it aloud.

https://literacy.madison.k12.wi.us/f...n_Overview.pdf

It's on the second page of the above. The "short story" is a single sentence (Australian concept of a short story??!!).

This breaks down reading and writing to individual components and then reassembles it into a meaningful context.

The detailed how to for this can be found in Literacy Lessons Designed for Individuals, hopefully you can find one in a library or through interlibrary loan rather than spring for the full price.

https://www.amazon.com/Literacy-Less...rie+clay+books
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

rallsco

Focus On Individual Needs
Old 01-14-2017, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Part of the beauty of one-on-one is that you can really focus on each student's area of greatest need. Any suggestions are kind of a menu that can be selected from based on the student's performance on assessment and your observations.
Kindergarten: Letter Sounds (we use Jolly Phonics)
Phonemic Awareness (blending and segmenting)
Reading and Writing High Frequency Words (Generally we
introduce one new word each week and continue to
practice words as the bank builds)
Decoding CVC words
Reading text that reinforces HF words and decoding
1st Grade: Components of the Reading Recovery Lesson, as suggested
2nd - 4th: The 6 Minute Solution for fluency that you have could fit into the 10 minute time frame. Many Reading A-Z passages (particularly the ones under the Key Reading Skills - Comprehension Skill Packs tab) can be used. Readworks.org also has similar articles.

For 1st-4th graders still having decoding difficulty, spending time on words in isolation has value to help them get a grasp on applying vowel sounds, breaking words into syllables, etc. Some students benefit from a program like Wilson Reading Just Words or Fundations. I'm not qualified to give an endorsement there. I use other resources for word work, but many schools do use them.
rallsco is offline   Reply With Quote

RtI_Teacher

Thank you!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you all so much! I'm excited to get started and your ideas have given me some great jumping off points. I appreciate the input.

RtI_Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote