Help

Classroom Management

Line Management

>

Crunch21

Line Management
Old 01-12-2017, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I could use some advice about line management. I sub in the younger grades and whenever I have to take a line of students from point A to point B, it seems like it takes longer for me than it does for the regular teacher, even with classes that know me.

Often the quiet, well-behaved kids have already been lined up at the front of the line, leaving the more physical, hard-headed, day-dreaming, etc. kids toward the back. I'm always having to walk back and forth to make sure I have everyone and that they're not pushing each other, etc. I don't often see other teachers doing this. Should I just assume the students are doing what they're supposed to be doing and keep moving?

To add another scenario, sometimes I also have to take a line of kids at the end of the day to their various places. Often the kids are really wound up at the end of the day. I don't have a long time to wait for them to shape up because that would hold up other students/teachers and their various lines and places to be. Any thoughts?

A couple of things I have done is to make sure there is a good line leader at the front (sometimes there's no way to know this, or the line leader has been selected for me). I've also tried small rewards for the end of the day lines - this sometimes helps.

Crunch21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Luv2TeachInTX

Old 01-13-2017, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would give them assigned spots in line.
Luv2TeachInTX is offline   Reply With Quote

1stTeacherPF

Old 01-13-2017, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I always pick a "secret line walker" and the kids know that if they are the secret persona and they are well behaved in line, they get a special reward. Works like a charm!
1stTeacherPF is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 01-14-2017, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I stand at the back of the line and have them stop after a certain distance, such as the end of the hall or at the hall door. I periodically give stickers to students' walking the right way to get the others to do it correctly. I don't know what it is, but walking in the hall gets worse every year.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

kim1231

Glad to know it's not just me
Old 01-14-2017, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am troubled with the same issue. I swear it gets worse every year! My students walk like a herd of cattle, but I am constantly correcting them. Even more troubling is that I notice the younger grades are even worse. The kids run, scream, bump one another, skip, and walk two and three next to one another. The teachers do nothing. They are at the front of the line and often don't even turn around! Makes me crazy. No wonder why by the time they come to me in fourth grade, they are a constant work in progress.

kim1231 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

What I do
Old 01-14-2017, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I do a few things:
1) we line up in number order all the time every time.
2) I walk next to them so I can see all the kids as they walk
3) we have assigned spots along the way where the kids stop. They know to ALWAYS stop at these spots (usually doors/exit signs that are easy to remember). They wait for me to say "go" before continuing.
4) if we need to stop and practice how to walk appropriately at this time of the year we do it during their time (recess). At this point, it's just a few kids.
5) it doesn't matter how I line them up (boys first, girls first, who's sitting quietly) they still line up in number order. This avoids the "good" kids in front.
6) I give Dojo points as we're walking. They can hear the ding and love it.
7) I remind them they're being role models for the younger kids
8) we practice the expectations a lot at the beginning of the year. Yes, we are Kate EEVERYWHERE the first few week or so.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 01-14-2017, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
...Often the quiet, well-behaved kids have already been lined up at the front of the line, leaving the more physical, hard-headed, day-dreaming, etc. kids toward the back. I'm always having to walk back and forth to make sure I have everyone and that they're not pushing each other, etc. I don't often see other teachers doing this. Should I just assume the students are doing what they're supposed to be doing and keep moving? ...
Try placing yourself at the back of the line not the front. Choose a student to be "line leader". He/she watches for your hand signal to proceed, stop etc. Sometimes the line can go out the door (from the classroom) turn and line leader can't see you since you would still be in the room at the back. In this case tell the leader to stop at Room 17 or some reference as they enter and walk in hallway. You will now be out the door with line stopped waiting for your command.

How students behave in line-up is dependent upon the attention and thoroghness a teacher applies to teaching it. First rule of line-up is don't make any rule you are not prepared to enforce each and every time. An example would be a teacher telling class "no talking", then because they are late to lunch or the library a student talks and teacher thinks "It's not that big of a problem, just one student and, besides, we can't go all the way back and start over. It would take too much time."

Fred Jones describes this kind of commitment as, "You lose! It's over! You might as well announce to the class, 'Class, as you know my hope is for an orderly and respectful group. Although I talk a good game what you just witnessed is reality. I may make big announcements on how to do this and do that, but when it comes right down to it I find actually doing something about it... well, inconvenient and not worth my time. Anyway, let's all have a successful year."

When I line-up my class for the first time I plan for at least six return to the room and do-overs. This is after a lesson on line-up and practicing in the classroom. Most years we never make it to the library the first time.
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

PollyCarp

Strategy to get in line
Old 01-26-2017, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

"Often the quiet, well-behaved kids have already been lined up at the front of the line." I had this happen to me when I rewarded quiet, compliant students or tables with being first in line. ("Ooh, Table 4 is ready, you may line up.") I've seen that in most classrooms I've been in. Is that something you're doing?

So I've shuffled it up a bit. Instead, I wait for the WHOLE room to be ready. And then I use a random way of calling students so that it is NOT dependent on behavior. This way my lines are a bit more mixed.

I also use the strategies that others have suggested above: namely, stick to the middle or back of the line, and insist on total compliance, even if it makes you late.

Good luck!
PollyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

I have my line leader call kids that are
Old 01-26-2017, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

ready. Works like a charm. I also have a designated caboose. I walk at the end of the line and make adjustments and kids are retaught during recess if they've forgotten the rules. Faces forward, hands down, away from the wall.
calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

secret walker
Old 02-10-2017, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Crunch.. I teach 4th grade and this works like a charm! Tell them youve chosen a "secret walker" for the day (or the walk to whereever) You are watching how quiet and responsibly they walk in the hall. You won't tell them who it is but if that person followed all the rules, they will get a treat at end of day (or end of walk..whatever) They will all be quiet because they think THEY are the secret walker.
I can not tell you how amazing this is even to 4th and 5th graders.

mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

AppleQ

Old 02-28-2017, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

For younger kids like kindergarten I've seen people have the students line up and throw imaginary bubbles to the students (they just puff up their cheeks) and then the kids put their hand behind their back or to their lunch and the teacher will put some imaginary glue so the hands stick together down the hall.

I just think its a cute little idea.
AppleQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 02-28-2017, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The bubbles idea does sound cute!

I do a version of "Mystery Walker" when needed as well. I pick a random student for each hallway trip, but don't tell who it is. If they do a great job, I reveal who it was and they get a sticker (or whatever). If they don't, I just say the mystery walker didn't earn it this time, without saying who it was.

I have selected "not-so-randomly" in special cases, and I don't pick anyone twice in the same day.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote