National Board Certification

I think I have two parts planned #4

>

teachtoall

I think I have two parts planned #4
Old 01-23-2017, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Assessment:
Sight word fluency (kindergarten) assessment of how many are read in a minute vs errors, students self assess how many they get right at different check points, I informally assess during student readers and weekly sight word quizzes.

Student need:
Science unit based on the next generation standards. We currently don't teach any science unless it is part of our ELA curriculum and our kits don't align with the new standards. I've gone to two trainings and met with my teammate who is on the curriculum adoption team to get a curriculum to try out. I would put together the unit through collaboration, teach it, and then it would show student growth in science. (Does that sound feasible?)

Professional need:
I've been doing a lot of trainings and bringing back to my PLC team the information around evaluating student writing. We currently don't have a district protocol.

Or

I can use the science trainings and unit formation.

Feedback on this would be great!!! Thank you so much!

Last edited by teachtoall; 01-23-2017 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: added more detail
teachtoall is offline   Reply With Quote

NBCoach

Old 01-24-2017, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think all of that sounds on track and either of the professional needs you mention could work. I don't think one sounds stronger than the other, based on the info in your post. You might need to write each up in a rough draft and see if one shakes out stronger than the other. Otherwise, go with the one you have more passion for.
NBCoach is offline   Reply With Quote

teachtoall

Thank you!
Old 01-25-2017, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It seems like when I go through this component that the only place I really put my student need, aside from the assessment part, is on the description of a student need form. Is this correct? If so then I can't write much about it because it is limited to evidence and one page of writing on the form.

The written commentary is much about understanding the student and then the assessment with a small part on collaboration, professional need.

mcgeneralist

Old 01-25-2017, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Your science idea is similar to what I'm thinking about using for my PN. What are you thinking of using for evidence of student growth in science.

NBCoach, I have many great things I can use for both the SN and PN but I'm struggling with what I will use as my evidence for student growth on both. Any ideas of things I can use? For example, can I create a chart that shows data on an assessment or survey, etc for both before and after? I guess I'm stuck on what NB will consider evidence. I unclear if it needs to be a report generated from a assessment program or if it something we can generate ourselves to showcase the student improvement. I'm not sure if what I'm asking is clear?

Thanks in advance for any help! =)
mcgeneralist is offline   Reply With Quote

teachtoall

Old 01-25-2017, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I went back to look over the level 4 rubric it Semems like they want everything to be driven by assessment and data. I was going to do the same as my assessment piece on sight words but for science and give and informative preassessment on the topic, teach to the topic, and then show improvements on the assessment at the end. The only thing I won't need to show is the informal observations and there won't be any specific self assessments given.

Maybe that??

teachtoall

Old 01-26-2017, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Another thought I had last night while laying in bed, when my best thinking is done, was using my schools science fair. I can be on the planning committee, find and bring to the school a science themed assembly to kick off the planning of the science fair, and then haven't class do a science project with board that is on the science topic I taught. The science fair board would be the end assessment and the science fair things could add to my collaboration, community involvement, and student need.

mcgeneralist

Old 01-26-2017, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've thought of some of the same things!! So maybe we're on the right track. We incorporated a science program that address STEM which was a weakness identified by a committee that I'm on. I'm trying to determine how I can provided evidence of this. What are you thinking of submitting as the evidence? Would you submit a chart that you make showing a before and after results? I'm struggling with how to showcase the evidence in a form that NB considers "concrete evidence". Thanks so much for brainstorming with me.
mcgeneralist is offline   Reply With Quote
jklmtaylor

jklmtaylor

EC gen Kind
Old 01-31-2017, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

i hope this doesn't confuse you more but I thought the assessments had to be done based on your students need. For ex my student need is to learn more sight words so my assessments will be reading sight words. It does sound like you have a lot to use for that is science related for your professional need though. Our cohort also encouraged our student need/ professional need to tie together somehow. Sometimes its frustrating how broad this all is 😬

Zia

Old 01-31-2017, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
i hope this doesn't confuse you more but I thought the assessments had to be done based on your students need.

My understanding is that the Student Need is not tied to the unit/assessment. I think it could be, but it doesn't have to be.
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

teachtoall

Sight words
Old 02-01-2017, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I also am using sight words for my assessment let. I'm beginning to think I might use evaluating student writing as my professional need, although that doesn't tie them all together either.

I'm working on it more this Friday. MCGen I will be digging deeper and will post what more I brainstorm. I took a short break from it because I've been so busy the past week.