Help

Private Schools

math dilemma! Please help!

>

girl9987

math dilemma! Please help!
Old 01-26-2017, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach first grade using the Abeka curriculum. I have a class of 10 students with about 3 who really struggle, particularly with math. They need a lot of help with their math pages. Here's how I'm managing so far. After I teach the lesson, I pass out the math pages, and we do the back together as a class, since it typically has the new concept that we just learned. Then I give them a few minutes to complete the front side of it while I walk around the room and check them. But here's the problem. I have some/most of my students who can finish the front side in 2 minutes while the three who struggle need lots of one-on-one help. So what do I do with the other 7?!

In the past, I had something called, "The math game of the week." I printed and laminated math game boards that the kids could play with a partner. I would walk around the room and check papers. After I checked their papers, they were allowed to go play the game, while I worked with the ones who needed help. But I would always have to model how to play the game first, and that takes time. Every Monday I would introduce a new game that they would play all week. But I just can't seem to find the time to do that anymore. Our day is just so jammed packed.

So I've thought about making simple flashcards and having the kids bring their papers up to my desk to check. After I check them, they can quiz each other on math facts. That's something that I don't constantly have to introduce every week, and it gives me time to work with the struggling ones. Does this sound like a good idea? I really would like for them to play the math games, but I feel like my time is limited. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Or maybe an easier way to manage all this? How do you all deal with this in your classrooms?

girl9987 is offline   Reply With Quote

SCS89

Old 01-27-2017, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you have a collection of math games that they already know how to play, you can place them in a tub for use when they finish their assignment. Don't worry about adding a new one every week. Let it go two or three weeks between.

Have a variety of board games and card games that the children are already familiar with, or take the time to teach one or two). Connect 4, Chutes & Ladders, Sorry, Uno, Parcheesi, Blokus, Skip-bo, Rummicub, Checkers, Quarto, Pente, Yahtzee, etc. You can add task cards if you prefer--the student draws a card and has to answer correctly to continue with his/her turn. The students can use regular playing cards to play games, such as turn 2 (or 3) cards over, the person with the highest/lowest number wins the cards played on that turn (you can use a spinner to determine whether playing for the high/low for each round).

Keep in mind, the students who are needing extra help completing their assignments need these games, too. I would also make sure they are solid on number sense because if they aren't, then the rest of math is going to be hard and frustrating for them.
SCS89 is offline   Reply With Quote

PCSLackey

I used math games in
Old 01-28-2017, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My 2nd grade class. I would introduce the new game on Friday. The whole class would play. Then the next week, students who finished early could play that game or any of the old games while I worked with students who needed extra assistance.

Math groups also helps. Divide your ten into 2 or 3 groups. Have then rotate between playing the game, instruction from you, and independent work. Students who are more advanced can do the independent work first since they will likely be able to do it and you cam spend their instruction time answering questions and doing enrichment instruction. For yhr group that struggles, you can always tell them they only have tobdo x number of problems on the front side for their independent work.
PCSLackey is offline   Reply With Quote

girl9987

thanks
Old 01-31-2017, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for the feedback.
girl9987 is offline   Reply With Quote