Help

Teacher News & Opinion

Teacher addressed a t-shirt

>

Youthcantknow

Teacher addressed a t-shirt
Old 01-28-2017, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hoping this is the right board, though maybe it belongs to the Political Board (it's OK if it gets moved, I wasn't sure where to put it)? It's definitely a teacher news story, though.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...129338154.html

I honestly don't think that the shirt should be allowed at school. My concern is for children that are of Mexican heritage and/or might be here illegally. Those children could very well be upset by seeing that shirt on a classmate. This goes beyond politics, in my opinion. Every school I know of near me has a policy against clothing with offensive messages and this message is likely to offend some of the other children. I don't believe that children need to be coddled, but I do think that they shouldn't have to handle seeing a message at school that they don't belong, especially since as children they have very little say in where they live or how they got there.

Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 01-28-2017, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My initial reaction is to let him wear the shirt if there's no previously existing dress code against shirts with political messages. He and his mom have to know that it's going to be offensive to some people. And those people, even teachers, might feel that it's comparable to wearing a swastika. If you do things to offend and stir crap up, be prepared to get offended yourself.

Last edited by apple annie; 01-28-2017 at 08:09 PM..
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Old 02-09-2017, 01:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well, I agree with you Apple Annie. Can't do much if the dress code doesn't address the wearing of clothes with political statements. Mommy probably had one hand on Sean Hannity's call-in number while she ushered Ain't-I-Something-Special out the door.

The thing is, there is a wall. It's being built. U.S. Customs and Border Protection reported that it had more than 580 miles of fence in place as of January 2009. The kid and his mommy ought to do a persuasive essay on whether to continue the wall building or add to the number of border patrol officers or spend the money doing a better job of keeping track of who comes in legally. So tired of Trump acting like this is a new idea.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 02-09-2017, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with apple annie as well. There's nothing you can do unless the dress code says no political messages (in which case, the kid should have been sent to...turn the shirt inside out / call for home for a new one / get a clean one from the nurse / whatever the policy is.)

I do personally think it could be compared to other political symbols, like a swastika, and you kind of have to allow all or none. My inclination would be to put it to a vote of the whole school community - either allow political messages, or agree that, as a group, we would like to keep that particular distraction outside of our classes. Parents, teachers, and students should all have a chance to debate and decide together which kind of environment best serves their school.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote