Help

Teacher News & Opinion

DeVos Nomination Clears Senate Committee

>

Beach Glass

DeVos Nomination Clears Senate Committee
Old 01-31-2017, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Please, if you have not let your views known about DeVos, it is not too late to contact your senators!

I feel there are far better choices for Secretary of Education than this person.

If you need language, here is what the NEA has on their website.

Quote:
As a concerned constituent, I urge you to put students before all else and oppose Secretary of Education nominee Betsy DeVos whose confirmation hearing proved that she lacks both the experience and qualifications to lead the Department of Education.

As Mrs. DeVos's nomination moves to the Senate floor, every senator has a unique opportunity to either stand with students in support of our public education system or to ignore the voices of hundreds of thousands of people who oppose this singularly unqualified nominee.

Betsy DeVos' confirmation hearing before the Senate underscored how unprepared she is to serve as America's secretary of education. She is a lobbyist and political donor with no experience or training of any kind.

Mrs. DeVos has no experience in public schools, either as a student, educator, administrator or even as a parent. Mrs. DeVos doesn't understand key policy issues like proficiency versus growth or the federal role of the Individuals with Disabilities Act. Further, she admittedly has no experience with higher education or student loans. Mrs. DeVos would not even commit to upholding current guidance on preventing sexual assault under Title IX.

What she does have experience in is lobbying for failed schemes, like vouchers to fund private schools at taxpayers' expense. These privatization schemes do nothing to help our students most in need and they ignore or exacerbate glaring opportunity gaps.

That is why I have joined the thundering chorus of students, parents, and my fellow educators - from both sides of the aisle - to urge you to oppose Mrs. DeVos's nomination.

We need a Secretary of Education who will champion innovative strategies that we know help to improve success for all students, including creating more opportunities and equity for all. Betsy DeVos is not that person, and I urge you to vote against her for Secretary of Education.

Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

Many of us
Old 02-01-2017, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

have contacted our senators. Let's hope she doesn't get appointed.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote