Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Need Ideas for Lunch

>

kaylamir

Need Ideas for Lunch
Old 02-01-2017, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My 2nd grade class has lunch in the room and I need to overhaul how we do it. When I just let them talk they end up all over the place and not eating. So far this year we've been listening to audiobooks, and I've been pretty lax so most kids listen and enjoy the story and a few kids chat and totally miss it. Sometimes they get too loud and then I have to step in. It's just not so great.

I think I either need to really strongly enforce quiet listening time during lunch or find something I can do during this time that is more discussion based (their hands are busy!), very fun and engaging, and relatively educational.

The kids can either be sitting with their desks in "tables" or in rows, so it could be discussion based or whole class. In my dream world, they'd have something relaxing, engaging, and student-led so that I could use the time to pull students 1-on-1 or grade daily math quizzes, etc.

Should I just be more strict regarding listening to the story or is that unrealistic? I feel like some quiet listening time wouldn't be the worst thing for them, but I need to be more confident if I'm going to enforce it.

Thanks for your help!

kaylamir is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

just curious
Old 02-02-2017, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is this also your lunch time? Do you get a duty free lunch? Personally, it's a battle I wouldn't fight. I'd put on a movie.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 02-02-2017, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If my class had to be in the classroom for lunch, I would just have them eat at their desk and they wouldn't be allowed to leave until they were done. I'm not sure I wold try do something educational because it is technically their break time.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 02-03-2017, 10:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would have lunch as unstructured as possible. Stay in your area, don't make a mess, eat, and don't scream. Kids need that time for a break.

Quote:
I could use the time to pull students 1-on-1
But maybe you're talking about a longer time period? Because doing something like that during lunch really makes no sense to me.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

kaylamir

Thanks
Old 02-05-2017, 03:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks, all. I am feeling pressured to use every drop of time since we are dual-curriculum, which means I only have them for half a day to do their entire 2nd grade curriculum... But I think you're right that they do need that break. Some of them really love the audiobooks, so maybe I'll find a way we can balance that--like 1 chapter, then open chat time. I appreciate the feedback!

readerleader

dual curriculum?
Old 02-05-2017, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've never heard that term before. What do they do the rest of the day?
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

kaylamir

Dual curriculum
Old 02-05-2017, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Judaics. It's a private Jewish school.

ahatz

New Ideas for lunch
Old 02-09-2017, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi,

An idea for lunch may be having the children move to a different table each day with other students, that way they may have different conversations and hopefully they will talk less since they don't get to pick to sit with the same people. Another idea maybe not allowing the children to get up out of their seats until they are finished.

Hope that helps!
ahatz is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

years ago. . .
Old 02-19-2017, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

when we had lunch in the room our school had the following rules. . .
1) Stay seated until finished eating
2) No shouting from table to table
3) When finished they could draw, read, or listen to tapes with headset. . .Lololol as long as they were in one place.

But of course we went to recess after eating so they could look forward to that.
Depending on your lunch period I would definitely include some game time if they do not go out to recess after lunch. 10-15 min. of four corners, heads-uo-seven-up, or Bingo games could solve all your problems.. Also you could alternate with a movie as well. I take it you don't have a smart board??

Like you said the most important thing is to set up a routine of these ideas that were posted and then go from there.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote