Help

Career Decisions

Ready to throw in the towel

>

missthird

Ready to throw in the towel
Old 02-08-2017, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm in my second year of teaching 3rd grade and I am ready to throw in the towel. There is too much pressure from the state. I feel like I'm teaching these kids how to pass a test, and they are not actually learning anything. I cry...A LOT (on the way home). I dread going to work. I LOVE my kids and I love kids in general, but I am thinking my patience is not set up for this particular career. I know a lot of my problem is the district in which I work. I have put in applications in other places. I REALLY want to go back to school, but it is not a feasible option for me at this point.
I have considered moving to a lower grade, but the thought of signing a contract I can't get out of (in case it still doesn't work) makes me sick. Does anyone have any ideas on other career options I can look into with my elementary ed degree? Or maybe even jobs for schools that aren't a classroom teacher but still involved with a school? Any help would be appreciated!

missthird is offline   Reply With Quote

guest 2000

guest 2000

I understand
Old 02-09-2017, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Totally feel you there. (See my post about breaking contract mid year for another job) I am so over teaching, this job is not a job, its more like a lifestyle! The responsibilities are taking over my life so I am currently waiting to see if I am going to get this job at a bank, and if so, BYE teaching!
As for other things you can do, I struggled with this too. But there are jobs in companies and hospitals that are like teaching (corporate training), also you can look for an office type job (think clinic, lawyer, hospital), or maybe try to get a job as a reading/math interventionist? That way your still working with kids, but don't have your own class. I even interviewed with Verizon wireless recently and they have great benefits and pretty good pay. Good luck to you!! I hope you find something.

MoveForward

Stick with it.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think you'll regret it if you quit. This country needs teachers. Of course I don't know your situation and I don't expect everyone to be as committed as I am, but I just know that quitting is not the answer. Maybe a change of scenery will help, Have you looked into teacher job openings at other schools in your district? Other districts? How about charter schools?
MoveForward is offline   Reply With Quote

Eliza

Do what's right for you
Old 03-19-2017, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Totally agree with the description of teaching as a lifestyle, not a job. This is one of those instances where you have to put on your own oxygen mask before you can help anyone else. If much of stress is related to testing, I'd suggest giving a lower grade a try. If your stress extends out from testing to all of the other things that go into teaching - trust your gut.

In my school, we hire interventionists to work with small groups of students. The downside, of course, is that is part-time work. We also run after school programs - which are full-time, though I don't know how similar the pay is to the teacher scale.

Make a list of what you love and what stress you out. If one far outweighs the other (not numerically, but emotionally), do what's best for you. If they're pretty even - give another district and grade level a try.

Good luck.
Eliza is offline   Reply With Quote