Help

Future Teachers

Future Teacher Classroom

>

SUteacher2

Future Teacher Classroom
Old 02-09-2017, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a student-teacher and I am wondering what are 3 classroom management skills that work for most classrooms? I'm struggling to get the students to focus.

SUteacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mauiwow

Top 3
Old 02-10-2017, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1. Structured time. Give students time limits and constraints. That is key to reeling them in.
2. Student accountability. What work do you expect students to produce? I find that lecturing/explaining more that 10-15 min you will lose them
3. What tasks are provided? Are they working in pairs. groups, whole class? Provide more mini activities allowing students to brainstorm/generate ideas.
mauiwow is offline   Reply With Quote

kerteach2

management
Old 02-11-2017, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have to say that management does need to be tweaked for each class I have. I have strong rules that they all understand and they understand the consequences.
I have my students sitting at their own desks but in tables of 4 or 5. Each table can earn points or lose points - the point system works really well. At the end of the day we add them up and keep track for a month of how many points each table has - the winning students get a ticket for our school's store.
The children have learned to monitor each others behavior - we model it so we do it kindly and quietly - to help keep each other on task.
kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

SUteach13

3 main classroom management strategies
Old 02-13-2017, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ticket system- This is a great way for the students to act more positive in the classroom if they know they can be rewarded which will cause them to focus more.

Time management- Teach the students that they're time on certain activities and projects is important because they should know that they have other work to do. If they know they only have certain amount of time they should get most of their work done.

Patience- Having patience is one of the big things in classroom management because students will not understand things right away so each student needs time to comprehend what you just told them about. Also patience can show the students that its okay not to get certain things right away and as long as you are their to help them they will want to learn.
SUteach13 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

For middle school
Old 02-14-2017, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

First of all, you have been given some good advice. I had a very wise principal tell me, an experienced teacher with a very difficult class (only one section of ELA - the others were fine) to wait. Stand and wait. Now, this might not work as well for the littler kids. But for my middle school students it worked well. These students thought that when I was talking, it was time for them to talk and be disruptive. So, I just stood and waited. And waited. If I waited more than 10 minutes (yes, and it just about killed me), I wrote the lesson on the board so that the students who wanted to learn could get something out of the class. If that didn't work, I waited another 10 minutes and wrote the assignment (if there was one) on the board. The lesson was due at the end of class. The assignment was homework. Students who were paying attention could generally finish both by the end of the period. This probably wouldn't work for younger students though.

I also used desk groups that could be easily moved into rows if necessary.

I agree with keeping them occupied and using a timer. Many teachers in my building use timers that are projected on the screen or whiteboard. We were highly encouraged to use them. I also put a Plan of Action on the screen or white board and checked off each item as we finished. Anything left on the board or screen became homework, so student became highly motivated to get their work done within the time frame on the board and with the timer.

I'm retired and substitute teach in my old building. Almost every teacher uses a projected timer or a hand held timer. They do work!

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

SUteacher2

Management
Old 03-02-2017, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

But what if one student in the row is always loosing their team points? Does that cause conflict in the classroom?

SUteacher3

Management
Old 03-02-2017, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I feel like it would be a good way to help the students hold one another accountable. The students would almost want to do better so that their peers won't get mad at them. I see this a lot in my class. Even the students who don't always follow directions seem to be more on task when their actions effect others. Of course it may cause a little conflict and the students could get frustrated with certain students but this could motivate them to help the student get on task and do what they are supposed to be doing.
SUteacher3 is offline   Reply With Quote

SUteacher2

Old 03-02-2017, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

That is true, holding each other accountable is very important in a classroom and teaches teamwork. Thank you!

Mshope

TO Mrsd5
Old 03-10-2017, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

"I also put a Plan of Action on the screen or white board and checked off each item as we finished. Anything left on the board or screen became homework, so student became highly motivated to get their work done within the time frame on the board and with the timer."

This is a brilliant idea. I have nice classes this year, but I wish I would have thought about this last year. I really can see this working great with 7th graders.

For the little ones, when I really needed their focus, I would say, "I'm looking for the best listener." Then, give that kid a small prize.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote