Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

debating interviewing for middle school vs elem

>

Hpylife

debating interviewing for middle school vs elem
Old 02-11-2017, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all!!
I'm coming back to the teaching profession after a long time away. In the past I have taught everything from preschool through grade 5. Currently I have a long term sub assignment in elem school that will last until the end of the year.

I have been thinking of applying for middle school this upcoming year. In my area, there are usually dozens of potential positions in middle school. Elem positions are rare and harder to get in with. I think I may like the middle school level more, but not sure. I've never taught middle school so I don't know.

I have been feeling lately that it may be a good change to give it a try. I like the idea of being able to "specialize" in one topic instead of having to teach so many different topics in elem school. I like the idea of having older students that are more independent.. I am not so sure about management in a middle school, as I'm sure the tricks I've learned over the 20+ yrs with younger children probably won't work with middle school kids.

However, I really need a job this upcoming fall and with a lot of potential positions to interview for in middle school, I'm thinking of trying it out.

Anyone out there just jump into middle school "fresh",,,without having done any subbing or student teaching in grade 6 at all?

thanks for any advice!!

Hpylife is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 02-12-2017, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I went from 1st to 6th and loved it! Our 6th was technically still in elementary, but with departmentalization it was so so different from typical elementary. I really loved the age difference and maturity of the kids--able to handle so much more independently and have deep discussions. I also love the content a lot because it's more challenging. Yes there are the hard parts like dealing with the middle school drama and attitude, but overall I am so glad I moved up! I have considered going into the middle school setting soon too.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Middle school from elementary
Old 02-12-2017, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I began teaching at the elementary level. Then I stayed home for several years with my kids. Returned to subbing at the elementary level. I was convinced by a principal to try middle school. I never looked back. Got a para position and two years later was offered a teaching position in the same school. Spent all but two years of my career in 8th grade. My last two years was in 7th. Over the years, we have had many teachers transfer from elementary to middle. Only one hated it. Every other person I know loved it. I am now subbing mostly at the middle school. There is just something about this age group that keeps me coming back!
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hpylife

Old 02-13-2017, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

thanks everyone for the information! I am pretty much open to any grade , so If middle school positions open up this coming year, why not try it?!

BioEducator87

Old 02-20-2017, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You should maybe try high school if you'd like students that are more independent and don't want to worry too much about classroom management.

BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hpylife

Old 02-21-2017, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

BioEducator87,
I am not certified to teach secondary. At some point I may get certified for that because I think I may enjoy the older students.

dubby

Old 02-22-2017, 12:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I currently teach 8th grade and my classroom management stems from my elementary teaching, so no worries.

dubby is offline   Reply With Quote

It1sWh4tIt1s

Old 03-17-2017, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am a new teacher but I had some para experience while I waited on my certification to go through.
*note* Recent grads: Get that application in ASAP; there is a very long line that starts if you graduate in the spring.

Pros about middle school (especially if the contract is for 1 subject):
1) The planning is a breeze.
2) *except for 6th grade* they are more capable to stay on task.
3) IMO, There is a little similarity with the culture between middle school and elementary (compared to what I have seen in high schools).

Cons:
1) If you like cross content instruction, it might be hard to coordinate that with other teams in a middle school setting; Whereas, in an elementary classroom you can tie everything together and give the students a richer learning environment.
2) Parents are not as involved (Can we blame them? They now have to talk to 5-8 teachers)

I like Middle School and I can see myself teaching elementary.
I say try something new, Classroom management will be similar to 3rd-5th for 7-8th grades and there is a comparison of 1st-2nd grade for the 6th graders (6th grade is quite needy).
It1sWh4tIt1s is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 04-06-2017, 04:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am secondary certified, and I do not like 6th graders at all. Although I'm not certified for 6th grade, I have had a random class or two over the years, back before having to be highly qualified to teach a subject.

To me, sixth graders are elementary school kids, not middle school kids. I don't know what to do with the little ones. I taught 7th grade for many years, and then moved to 8th grade last year. I forgot how much I really loved 8th graders.

I moved from 12th grade to 7th grade with no experience. I took a high school job that was itinerant between the high school and middle school. I didn't know that when I applied, so I was really surprised when I had to teach a group of 7th graders.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote