Help

Future Teachers

Respect??

>

Casual44

Respect??
Old 02-13-2017, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm in a field placement, once a week for only half a day (3rd Grade), and since coming back from winter break I have had a rough time getting them to listen while I'm teaching like they did back in the beginning of last semester.

Any advice on how to get them listening and paying attention again before my next lesson?

Casual44 is offline   Reply With Quote

PeaceLoveRun

Regroup
Old 02-14-2017, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Take a step back and call a class meeting to go over expectations. Maybe introduce a new concept of behavior management, like golden tickets, or a card system, or m&ms in a jar, something new to get them excited and thinking about what is expected of them. It's never too late to start over.
PeaceLoveRun is offline   Reply With Quote

SUteacher25

Management - First grade
Old 02-18-2017, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This happened to me last year during field placement as well...I started using chants (1,2,3 eyes on me, 1,2 eyes on you) and did not begin the lesson until they were all paying attention. I had to go over the classroom expectations again as well. I also tried to be very animated because my students did not respond well to monotone voices. I suggest that you introduce a new reward system. Place a jar in visible sight for the students and fill it up periodically with fuzzies or gems throughout the lesson when they exhibit good behavior - make sure to have a reward at the end if they fill up a certain amount of objects (follow through with the reward!!! Do not just say it!!). I use this method for my placement this year as well and fill up the jar with different objects each time I teach and my students love it!
SUteacher25 is offline   Reply With Quote

SUteach13

Respect in the classroom
Old 02-23-2017, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Whenever I teach a lesson to my students and they are being loud I use phrases like " I'll wait till everyone's quiet" or I will call out a student that looks like he or she is being quiet and respectful. Also we have a ticket system in my class so if one student gets a ticket they will all want one so they will listen better. Doing this will get them to stop talking as much and they should start respecting you more over time.
SUteach13 is offline   Reply With Quote

SUteacher3

Management
Old 02-28-2017, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In my class whenever students start getting out of hand I"ll say something like "I love the way Abby is sitting quietly with her hands in her lap" then all of a sudden you see all of the other students begin to do the same because they want that praise as well. It grabs the students attention, gets them refocused, and it reinforces the way you want your students to be acting. Then from that point on they know that i will only call on them if they are doing as they were told.

SUteacher3 is offline   Reply With Quote