Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Ell

>

Katydid_123

Ell
Old 02-14-2017, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am an intern at a school that is very diverse and other half of the class are ELL students. One of are new students has very little English and has a hard time with comprehension and processing Spanish. I have little know Spanish background. The other students help but they talk in Spanish. Any Suggestions?

Katydid_123 is offline   Reply With Quote

PeaceLoveRun

Mostly Spanish Speaking
Old 02-14-2017, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My last school was 99% spanish as a first language. I taught TK/K so most of them knew little to know english coming in. I knew very little spanish. Luckily, I had an aide, but I spoke only english to them. I acted a lot of stuff out, I spoke very slowly, I had some kids and the aide translate the important stuff to them. They picked up English so quick you wouldn't believe it. By the end of the school year, they were translating english to their parents for me.
PeaceLoveRun is offline   Reply With Quote

educreate

Know your kids!
Old 02-21-2017, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One suggestion could be to learn about Spanish culture, and even the basics of the Spanish language, in order to have a point of reference to begin to understand your students. I believe that as teachers it will always prove valuable to know and understand our students, including their ethnic background.
This child might benefit from working in small groups with peers who are accelerated and could help him grasp simple concepts. Someone once told me that our other students in the class are our best resource for helping students with learning needs. Working with their peers also can develop friendships and they can learn from one another, about language, culture, and appropriate social interaction.
educreate is offline   Reply With Quote

Casual44

Same Expeirence
Old 02-25-2017, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a student as well who speaks mainly another language, and it is a struggle to let them know what is going on. For the most part I rely on pictures and illustrations because those are universal. Especially if you relate it back to their culture. Tie their word with them as well for example, have a picture of coat, the Spanish word of the coat and then the english word for coat. It allows them to take the words they know and begin to also learn the English words for those words as well.
Casual44 is offline   Reply With Quote