Future Teachers

Confidence

>

Tinks08

Confidence
Old 02-14-2017, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Everyone,
As a student teacher, I still find myself becoming nervous in front of my classes. I have made relationships with the different classes and students individually. However I'm still nervous when teaching. Any helpful tips??

Tinks08 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

What I was told a lifetime ago
Old 02-14-2017, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Fake it until you make it. Take a deep breath and, even if you are shaking inside, stand tall and act confident. I did that as an experienced ELA teacher the first time I had one section of American History added to my ELA duties. And I was honest. I told my students (8th graders) that I was endorsed and highly qualified to teach American history, but that I would be relearning things while they were learning the first time. Inside, I was shaking. Outside, though, I was calm and confident. Took me a couple of months of hard work, lots of prep, and talking to myself to really believe what I told them, though. And I was nearly 50 years old at the time! Good luck. Be prepared and put on an Oscar worthy performance. After awhile, it will feel natural. I promise!
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

PeaceLoveRun

Just remember
Old 02-14-2017, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They're kids. They're going to either think you look goofy anyway, or think you're amazing anyway. So roll with it, lol. It will come in time. Now I can do anything in front of an entirely filled classroom, but put me in front of 2 adults and I freeze!
PeaceLoveRun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tinks08

Old 02-21-2017, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you so much for your feedback! I just need to breathe! I find myself becoming nervous in front of my mentor teacher as well. Any suggestions for staying calm while being observed?
Tinks08 is offline   Reply With Quote

educreate

Practice!
Old 02-21-2017, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This might sound silly, but practicing before you teach lessons can prove to be super helpful, especially if you are going to get observed. This helps with calming your nerves as well as with working out your timing. It's so good that you have developed relationships with the kids in your class! That is awesome and so so important. In this area too, practice makes perfect. Just talking to your students and getting to know them always proves beneficial for you and for them. Getting comfortable with the classroom setting, you can even ask your teacher to give you specific responsibilities that will help you build routine and become even more comfortable in front of the class. For example, at my internship I go around every morning and check off each student's homework. This way the kids see that I have some authority in the class, and they also get to interact with me on a regular basis where I am not actually teaching them something. Hope this helps!

educreate is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Observations
Old 02-21-2017, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

After awhile you won't be as nervous, but it's one of the "necessary evils" of our profession. Your supervisor is the instructional leader of your building, so they should be looking for something they can teach you. I want to always improve my craft, so I appreciate the feedback. But there's a part of me that wants to be told that I'm perfect!

My stomach still flips when I am observed, and sometimes my lessons don't go as planned, even after 30 years! But that's real life. Just keep doing your best!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote