Help

Future Teachers

Management

>

SUteacher25

Management
Old 02-18-2017, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a student teacher in first grade. When I teach, I become so involved in the lesson that I do not focus too well on classroom management or timing. My university mentor informed me that during my last lesson there were students goofing off at the back of the carpet throughout the whole lesson and I didn't even notice. I think a part of it is caused from anxiety knowing I am being observed. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can improve on these skills??

SUteacher25 is offline   Reply With Quote

brownbear

Old 02-19-2017, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Before starting any lesson that's being observed I inform my students that a visitor is coming to see how well we can be as first graders. Then before I start the lesson I ask the students how they should represent themselves by having them review the rules: listen to the teacher, raise hands before speaking, sit criss cross applesauce, etc. Then as I am teaching I praise the kids that are modeling good behavior: I love how Laura raised her hand, thank you Owen for being a good listener, etc.
brownbear is offline   Reply With Quote

SUteacher3

Management
Old 03-01-2017, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe during your lesson you could include checkpoints where you regroup and make sure that everyone is on task and following along. For example, after you give instructions, stop, and make sure the students are following along. Also, if you state your expectations for the students in the beginning of the lesson and continue to implement them throughout the lesson this can help your students stay on task. For example, you could tell the students that you are only going to call on students sitting quietly and facing forward. Then throughout the lesson praise the students who follow directions, "I like the way Brooke is sitting quietly and facing forward".
SUteacher3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lserafini

Management
Old 03-01-2017, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had this problem at first as well. I would get so involved in the lesson that I wouldn't even notice the bad behaviors that were occurring in the back. My mentors taught me skills to be able to multi task so that I was aware of everything that was going on around me. Walking around the classroom during lessons help reduce bad behavior and keeps students on task. I also learned that using timers to time activities also helps with time management. I would always run over the amount of time I would have to teach a lesson and would never be able to complete the whole lesson. Using timers help keep me in check and allows the students to know when it is time to transition.
Lserafini is offline   Reply With Quote