Help

Classroom Management

Student who WON'T STOP TALKING!

>

PollyCarp

Student who WON'T STOP TALKING!
Old 02-18-2017, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student who provides a running voiceover to everything we do. If he's on task, this is annoying, but often it will be off-task. Seriously, I think he verbalizes every single thought he has. Due to this and some other factors, I believe he is ADHD and he is (supposedly) being tested for this. I'm also testing him for special education because he has difficulty processing, retaining, or picking up on others' special cues. However, right now all accommodations, etc. are up to me.

Anyway, I'm at my wit's end with how to deal with him. He sits at the very front, to minimize other distractions. At carpet time, he sits in a chair. He knows there are people he cannot be by (who like to talk to him or who pick on him for his differences) and he is USUALLY pretty good about staying away from them. Even so, it gets very difficult to handle him with the rest of the class. He'll talk, he can't ignore other people talking to him, etc. I've tried accommodations like a wiggle seat (it became a toy), frequent turn-and-talks (for the whole class—they're a chatty bunch!), a visual chart for eyes forward, voice off (had as much success as verbal reminders, no more, and I got rid of it because I'd have to verbally get his attention to use the chart). The most successful management strategy are frequent reminders. His name, then me motioning what he needs to do. He's really good at picking up on those, and I don't mind giving them.

The trouble is, some days even that doesn't work. It's usually a day by day thing—one day he's on task and the next day anything will send him down a rabbit trail. On those days, when I give bigger consequences (think time, call home, etc.) that doesn't work and literally the only thing that works is to send him to the buddy room next door for a little while. He hates it and so do I. It really is only to give me and the class respite and give a shock reboot to his system. My colleague in the buddy room is fine with it (we're always shovelling kiddos back and forth), but I would prefer a solution that keeps him part of the group. I really hate excluding him, especially when I don't think he can autonomously control his behavior and I'm not teaching him any strategies to do so.

Thoughts? Tried and true strategies? Not tried but maybe true strategies?

PollyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Old Brother?
Old 02-18-2017, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I swear I have the older brother. This kid has ZERO attention span. He will whine, "I have ADHD so its not my fault." There are times the other kids get so frustrated that they shout, "STOP TALKING." I have his desk right by mine and have to prompt him a million times to do anything constructive.

There are times I put him in the hallway, but he manages to be annoying out there. Tapping, banging desk, and yelling out, "Can I come back in now?" He will repeat this for like 20 minutes. This kid is talented in music, but is constantly doing the drumstick thing. He also has an obsession with origami. He has no technology at home so he is always begging me to show the class inappropriate YouTube videos. Ah, no. I do try to connect with him and gave him an origami book, but the truth is that he sets my teeth on edge. The other kids would probably strangle him if they could. I feel like he is ruining our nice class. For example, I let the kids would in partners, this one STOOD and was trying to show his group something. I asked him to sit down FOUR times. He then slumped down in the chair, still talking, and prevented his group from getting anything done. The other boys wanted to get their assignment done. I have counseled him on making friends and being a good partner, but because he is talking all of the time, he doesn't listen.

I'm thinking of calling the parents. I am waiting though because if they excuse his behavior with the ADHD excuse, I might flip. We have lots of students who have that and they occasionally take a breathe once in a while and stop talking. This kid is also extremely immature. Academically, through all this, he is very smart, but he prevents the other kids from learning.

Clearly, I don't have a solution. I really try to be nice to my student, but I've taken to threatening him with the office. If I would send him down, they would send him right back up because he is so annoying. That works for a second or two. He told the class, he doesn't want to get suspended because HE LOVES SCHOOL! Argggh...He actually did drop my laptop on my foot when he was screwing around and out of his seat. I know it was an accident and he felt bad so I didn't report it. However, a part of me feels bad for this kid because he is so flighty.

Sorry, for threadjacking you! The thought of my kid makes my blood pressure rise and your post reminded me of him...
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

AZsub

Talker in class
Old 03-21-2017, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I read a book about class management, that had this issue in it.

The suggestion was to make this kid your "helper." Johnny, will you help me pass out the papers, collect the papers. Can you help explain this problem to Jane? Can you run this down to the office? Can you take attendance to the office. You build their ego up and they do not need to get "attention" by running their mouth constantly. BTW, moving him to the front is a great idea.
AZsub is offline   Reply With Quote