Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Prek End of year goals

>

mari4

Prek End of year goals
Old 02-19-2017, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach prek mainly 4 with some 5 year olds and I was wondering what are the goals or objectives you want the kids to learn or master before the school year ends.. One of my coworkers is adamant that the kids need to leave prek knowing how to read and to have PERFECT handwriting... I do stress penmanship and we are decoding simple 2 and 3 letter words but I'm not sure if I should be more demanding of my students as the other teacher is... My biggest fear is that the students will hate learning and going to school at a young age.. My co worker has already closed some fun centers so the kids can only focus on letter formation and reading.. So my question is whether those expectations are achievable and realistic.. Thanks in advance for your help.

mari4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gimet

Old 02-19-2017, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't think PERFECT handwriting or knowing how to read are developmentally appropriate expectations for preschool students. Check out your state's Early Learning and Development Standards (or any state's Preschool Content Standards). Our school also created entrance/exit expectations for each grade level, which was an interesting exercise.
Gimet is offline   Reply With Quote

Truthy

Old 02-19-2017, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

At five they should be able to write first name properly. Capitol letter and lowercase. Not all caps or all lowercase. Fully potty trained. Able to count to 20 and write up to ten. Able to line up and go places and back most of the time. Able to sit and listen for 20 minutes. Able to raise hands and know to take turns. I see many entering kinder not knowing some, or all, of these things. Fun is important, but this isn't their home. They need to know school has rules and routines. Nothing in life is ever fun all the time.
Truthy is offline   Reply With Quote