Sixth Grade

Need help with math classes

>

Guessed1

Guessed1

Need help with math classes
Old 02-19-2017, 10:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't know what to do. I need advice. I'm not sure who I can go to at my school. I have asked other teachers and I have tried to ask administrators but no one seems to have an answer. I have students in honors classes that are scoring 60-80 on avg. Most of hem are failing the tests but making ok on the class work. The practice sheets we are doing demonstrate that they understand for the most part. However, on the tests, it's another story.
I don't know how to deal me down the material any more than I already have. I have given them study guides and practice pages. What now?

It1sWh4tIt1s

Need more information
Old 03-18-2017, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You talk about tests, standardized tests?

What is your seating like (for your class)?

Do you have heterogeneous or homogeneous groups?

How much time do you give them to talk after you teach them something?

Have you set goals for them?
It1sWh4tIt1s is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Math students floundering on tests
Old 04-03-2017, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is math, right ? If they get an answer to a problem wrong, do they get the entire thing wrong, or can they earn partial credit for the steps they did correctly? For example, if they are going through the all the correct steps to solve the problem but make a calculation error partway through, do they at least get credit for the correct steps up to the point of the calculation error?

It's my experience that 6th graders --- sadly ---don't know their multiplication ( and therefore division ) facts very well, and that was preventing them from doing well on assessments when I taught 6th grade math a couple of years ago. I decided that what was most important to me --- and what I really wanted to assess on tests --- was whether they knew how to solve different types of problems, and whether they understood what they were doing and why. So I let them use a multiplication facts chart during tests ( laminated class set. ) But I also gave them weekly timed "fast facts" multiplication and division facts quizzes, which I averaged together into a test grade each grading period, to give them motivation to really learn and internalize those multiplication facts.
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

Califteacher

Quick rapid drills
Old 04-11-2017, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Each day I embed into the daily lesson 20 (2 sets of 10) flash cards on ppt slides addressing previous past, present or future learning outcomes. At the start of each lesson and at the end these rapid ( I control the tempo) flash cards with a short answer response are self graded with answers to follow after the 10 are answered. This simple "checking for understanding" challenges all. The only requirement is that all problems must be answered for a full credit grade whether or not they are correct. Each student is driven to improve each day through self motivation. Administrators, teachers visiting, and parents are amazed at the total class participation as in unison entire class heads bob up and down as each problem is solved. I have created flash cards for every common core standard grades K-9 and can pick and choose which cards to infuse into my lessons thus challenging past, present or future learning outcomes addressing any grade or standard. It has been one of my many tools to engage students. Hope this sparks further creative ideas for you.
Califteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ArtsyFartsyII

Old 04-14-2017, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

How do you differentiate for this? For students who are below grade level, how do you decide what problems to use?

ArtsyFartsyII is offline   Reply With Quote

Califteacher

More clarification
Old 05-09-2017, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sorry for the late reply. There is no need to differentiate. The idea to this strategy is constant review and repetition twice in each class lesson. I focus on previous learned or future acquisitions for the class lesson and leave present content for direct/guided and independent practice. A note on why this is so powerful. This strategy is self graded. Students receive an "A" for completing all 10 whether wrong or right. One of the established norms in my classroom at the start of the year is every problem must be tried to the best of their ability. Students receive better marks when all are completed in warmups/bell ringers, flash cards and independent practice/homework, and closure activities. Student that do not complete all of the assigned work fail, "FAIL"...even if they do 90% of the work with all correct answers. I am fostering and encouraging the process not the results. I remind the students the journey will be long and difficult at times but without taking a step at a time we all cannot reach our destination. I do not want to knock them down while they are balancing on one foot in the step progression to learning challenging material. I have had tremendous participation and success on year end tests because of the positive process. Again this is one of many very powerful techniques used in my lesson as like you also embed into your lesson. If you are interested with more I will check this site hopefully quicker.
Califteacher is offline   Reply With Quote