Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

making the switch...leap of faith?

>

guest983535

guest983535

making the switch...leap of faith?
Old 02-23-2017, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am certified gen ed 1-6 and sped prek-8. I have taught in elementary the past few years but am thinking it may be time for a change. I feel like Im hardly teaching half the time; the behavior management we are required to do (I am not talking about simply classroom management, Im talking training them to line up etc.) just is so time consuming.

Im thinking of taking my state test in english and social studies in hopes to be a 4/5/6 middle school teacher. What do you think? Would I even be marketable? I do have a year of experience as an assistant teacher at a high school a few years back. Should have just stayed in secondary....ugh.

Mshope

Ms
Old 02-26-2017, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach both subjects in MS. I find that even in Grade 7, I am teaching basic skills. I have students who can barely read and write. I really feel like I need to start off the year teaching them EVERYTHING. Sadly, I really can't do that but they don't know how to indent, write a sentence, capitalize, use an end mark, or use margins. I know that they "learned" these things, but they weren't enforced. When my classes go to an assembly or to the library, I do have to teach them to walk silently. I have students who do not know how to sit in a chair or hold a pencil properly. Really, I don't know if they are just constantly testing or seeing what they can get away with, but I sometimes dream of teaching high school!

It's February and I still have kids asking me for pencils, where the tissues are, and "how much they have to write" for a paragraph! It might just be that time of the year, but it is really aggravating. We have procedure for everything and the students just choose not to follow the procedure.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

WifeMomTchr

Yes! Do it!
Old 02-28-2017, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a Bach of Sci. in ECE, have been a preK teacher for over 20 years and now I am almost done getting a MEd in Curriculum & Instruction for K-12. Soon after I am done completing the program I am hopping on to the doctorates trail...a PhD in Spec. Ed.

Like you, I found myself being repetitious about the things I was going through as a preK teacher. But now, I'm bored....I have felt like I needed a challenge. In my opinion, I think that there's always room for improvement at any grade level, even if it means changing your career track along the lines of education. As far as behavior management, and according to the research I've done every teacher goes through challenges inside their classrooms. It can be as young as 3 and all the way through the 12th grade. There is this wonderful literature on classroom management and talks about different ways to manage a classroom: Effective Classroom Management (3rd ed) by Carlette Jackson Hardin I think it's worth a read. Most of all that the teachers went through in that book is exactly what I went through as a preK teacher.

Having said that, it does not matter what grade level or subject you teach, behavioral issues will always come up. You have a wide experience under your belt and it wouldn't hurt to have more. Take that state test in English and soc. studies, middle school. The decision is up to you, but if it were me, I'd take that challenge just to get more experience.
WifeMomTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

SocratesLntrn

Go for It
Old 03-11-2017, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught sped for many years and was lucky enough to have the opportunity to teach 6th grade ELA/Social studies. I loved it. The kids were the youngest ones there and they were so eager to learn. Plus, you can really talk with them and have great conversations. Loved teaching history, esp. and combining writing activities as well as project based lessons, many of which were done in collaborative groups.
SocratesLntrn is offline   Reply With Quote