High School

becoming certified for HS

>

Hpylife

becoming certified for HS
Old 02-24-2017, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all,
I am looking into what it would take to become certified for secondary ed. I am getting my elem ed cert renewed currently.

Would I need to get a second degree to be able to teach high school? Currently I could teach 1-6th grade. Before I start researching this, thought I'd post here if anyone has info.
thank you in advance!!!

Hpylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

Old 02-24-2017, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In Florida, you don't need a specific degree to teach high school. It is always helpful if you have a degree in the subject you teach (math teacher has a degree in math education). But all you need to do is pass the test for secondary grades.
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 02-25-2017, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Check with your state dept of ed to find out what the requirements are for high school certification. In my state, teachers must have a subject area endorsement, so you need to demonstrate course work in the subject area you want to teach. I guess these days you probably need to take a test like Praxis in that subject area as well.

Whether you need to go back to school may just depend on what courses are on your transcript. If you only need a couple of classes, you may be able to just take those classes rather than going back to school for another degree. Or you may want to get a Master's degree instead of going back for a second bachelor's degree.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

praxis
Old 02-27-2017, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just had to take the secondary praxis and score high enough to switch to hs. I am sure it varies from district to district, but that worked where I am. Also the "passing" score varies from state to state with the praxis so check that too. Good luck!
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

Hpylife

Old 02-27-2017, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks everyone. I definitely do not want to get a second bachelors or a masters so I'll call out state and find out the requirements. Thanks!

Hpylife is offline   Reply With Quote