Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Classroom Library

>

Brightside19

Classroom Library
Old 02-26-2017, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I started collecting books for my classroom library since my second year of college. I am an early childhood education major and now my small pile of books has started to overflow. I would love to jot down some ideas for the best way to organize my classroom library. What are some fun ways you have organized your classroom library? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Brightside19 is offline   Reply With Quote

playpower

books
Old 02-26-2017, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

To start, it might be helpful to start sorting them into baskets/tubs. Here are some free printable labels that you may be able to use:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwI...5YWFkYmJh/view
playpower is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 02-28-2017, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had several "libraries" set up in my first grade classroom. I had a bookcase all devoted to leveled readers....but for preK you might not need that. I used the Fountas Pinnell system of grading books and put labels on them. Books ranged from A to 0 as I always did have kids reading at level O by the end of the year. Then I had one bookcase arranged with baskets of themes.....bears, Clifford, Fancy Nancy, ocean animals, dinosaurs, etc. The last bookcase was for me....I had magazine boxes with "seasonal read-aloud" books. Before I did that, it was always hard to find the ground-hog book in Feb. or the Johnny Appleseed book when I needed it. Having a box for each month (and 2 for December) really helped. I liked the kids to have free access to taking the books from the baskets and so books were color coded with stickers.... but things would get mixed up every now and then and we'd spend time rearranging things. I also would change out the books so that they could find new ones each trimester.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Brightside19

Old 02-28-2017, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you guys for the help! I will definitely be using all the tips I love the basket for yourself with seasonal books what an awesome idea to stay organized!
Brightside19 is offline   Reply With Quote