Help

Classroom Management

Help and Advice Request

>

RaineeHi

Help and Advice Request
Old 03-06-2017, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay, so this has been on my mind for over a week now. Over a week ago I had two students arguing with the healthaide of one of my students. They were saying very unkind word to each other, but when I re-directed them, they said some unkind words to me. Before I got a chance to re-direct (I was going to refer them to the office)-the health aide "stood" up for me. These two students start to bad-mouth her. So I definately refer them. Then the health aide smiles and laughs. And the kids have yet to let that one go. I talked to one of their parents, and have seen an escalation in behavior incidents since then. The other kid refuses to come to my class without re-direction or warning.

My question..... what should I do?

RaineeHi is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Healthaide?
Old 03-06-2017, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

So is this aide for one of the students involved in the argument? Yes or no, I think this person should have stayed out of it. For example, when I have a student who has an aide, the aide is to focus on a specific thing with that student. Usually the special education teacher and the aide have a goal that student is working on. Sometimes the aide is to step back and let the student become more independent. I've had students in wheelchairs where the aide helped with physical needs, but not instruction.

None of these people have ever interfered in the class or the other students. It is not their job. It sounds like this person overstepped and improperly got involved in this argument. If this continues, I would talk to the person, their supervisor, or the special education teacher.

Were the students mocking this person's laughter? Why doesn't the other kid want to enter the room? It is because of the aide?
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

RaineeHi

Health Aide Question
Old 03-08-2017, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you Mshope for posting a response to my question.

The health aide let's say has student A as their student. Well Student B and C were the ones in the argument. Her student was independently working by themselves. I am the special education teacher in this scenario. The HA was sitting in the back of the room at her desk while my group of kids were working. But Student B and C had this argument, in which I was redirecting them, but she got involved to help me the SPED teacher, and that caused a few more issues.

I will say that this situation has resolved itself for me, after I conferenced with the student again.

But today another teacher reported that she did the same thing in their class...

So I feel like this may not be totally resolved, since it is happening in another class with different students.

I am going to speak to my Instructional Coach about it, informally and ask for her experience and advice as I'm kind of a novice teacher without too many years under my belt.

But again thank you Mshope.
RaineeHi is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Of Course
Old 03-08-2017, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know that there was an aide who was reporting on teachers at our school last year! She kept going down to the principal's office to report on things kids and teachers did. They kept her the entire year, but she got moved this year. Hopefully, someone will tell this aide to focus on her own student. Or maybe you could say to her very nicely, "I appreciate your help, but please let me handle the other students. I don't want you to get into trouble because you are legally not their official aide." That way, you will not alienate her. Maybe some other SPED teachers out there would have more specific advice?

Glad it was handled!
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote