Help

Kindergarten

Tech

>

Black&White

Tech
Old 03-07-2017, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you use to address digital writing?

Black&White is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 03-07-2017, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for or not.

At the beginning of the year, my students used the Doodle Buddy app on the iPad. They used their finger to draw and write so they could try to write letters to label the picture.

My school district went all Google this year. The Google apps don't have the same functionality on the iPads as they do on a laptop or Chromebook so I am still figuring out stuff. Plus I have only 8 iPads and 19 students so they have to share.

This is what I came up with. You can create a book review form using Google Forms. Students use the form to do a book review (persuasive writing). You can have different forms depending on what your students are able to do. The form can have some sections as short answer (i.e. type in the title of the book or type in the reason you liked or didn't like book). Other sections like the opinion could be multiple choice (i.e. I like the book/I don't like the book.) or short answer (i.e. Type in -My favorite part was when...) The recommendation could be multiple choice (Thumbs up or thumbs down ) or short answer (type in recommendation-You should read this book.

To help my students get used to using the keyboard on the iPad to type, I made slides with sentences that had mistakes. I added a text box underneath each sentence. Students had to read the sentence and find the two mistakes. Then they had to double-tap on the text box to type in the sentence correctly. We did one each day for a while so they are getting comfortable with finding the letters, shifting to uppercase and spacing after words and endmarks.

This week my students are using Google Slides to write a report George Washington or Abraham Lincoln (informative writing). I use Google Classroom so I am able to assign each student his/her own slide. I created a slide with a text box at the top for a title and a larger text box at the bottom for the information. We are spending two weeks on the activity because they are doing part of it during social studies which we only have twice a week.

Last week students used information from our K-W-L charts to fill in their own tree chart. We did this during Writer's Workshop one day. My special ed students are not with me for Writer's Workshop so I had them dictate one or more sentences to me and I wrote them down.

Since you can't insert an image by doing a Google Search when you are on the iPad, I decided to have the students make the Abraham Lincoln or George Washington masks (paper plates). They made those last week during fine motor/center time. I taught them how to use the iPad camera and they had a buddy take their picture. Then they inserted that photo into their slide. So last week they typed in the title and inserted the photo onto their slide.

This week my students are using their tree charts to help them type their sentences onto their slide. My special ed students are typing the sentences they dictated. So far they are doing a good job when you consider it is their first time doing it on an iPad. This activity was very structured to help them be successful.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 03-08-2017, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have a class Twitter account. Students post tweets about things we learn throughout the year.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 03-08-2017, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do not have them do any typing other than logging in to their accounts. I'm trying to get them to actually write first. We do some shared digital publishing but that is all.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 03-08-2017, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm the same as Sbkangas...my focus is on teaching them to put letters and sounds together to write words. I'm not teaching typing to my Ks. Seems cart before the horse to me.

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Black&White

Thank you
Old 03-09-2017, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for the responses. I do not have much experience with Google Classroom. Can students write directly in Google Classroom or is it typing? I am looking more for ipad apps for students to actually write on the app but am open to other ideas. Typically, I have used my Smartboard for students to write digitally. I no longer have a Smartboard and am looking for something that is easy to use to address my digital writing standard.
I will be checking out Doodle Buddy.

Thank you!

Read more at: http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...reply&t=578260
Copyright ProTeacher (proteacher.net)
Black&White is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 03-09-2017, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Google Classroom is the way to manage the assignments you create. You can assign to whole class or specific students so you can differentiate. Students turn in their work or mark as done (i.e. Sometimes I assign a video for students to watch so there might not be something to turn in. They just mark as done after they watch the video.)

When students click on an assignment, the assignment opens. Depending upon the assignment you create, it might a Google Slide, Form, Doc... My students cannot write on the iPads we have; however, it looks like there are some apps in the Apple Store that work with a special pen or stylus. You might want to check those out. My students type in a text box. I'm not sure if they would be able to write on a different device like Chromebook Touches. My students can trace/write letters with their fingers in Doodle Buddy and save that writing to the iPad to upload to the slide or doc. They can do the writing assignment on paper and then use the iPad camera to take a photo of it to upload.

I agree with PPs that K students should focus on letters/sounds and letter formation. I hope that I didn't give the impression that we only use the technology-I was responding to the question about digital writing. I have a fine motor time every day where we do activities to build fine motor muscles and work on proper letter formation. We also have a formal phonics program where students learn letter names/sounds and correct letter formation. There is a dictation part for each lesson every day where my students have to write dictated letters, letter slides, c-v-c words and simple sentences. My students also write in their journals on a daily basis.

I have not done a formal lesson on the keyboard except when I taught them to log in to certain apps. Our little guys do not have the dexterity or finger span to teach typing.

There is one app that was very helpful at the beginning of the year when my students were learning to write their first name. The app is called Write My Name. The app shows them how to form the letters in their name so they practice writing their name with their finger. I could also record their name and say the letters so they could hear it when they practiced. Besides the name section, the app has a letter section (uppercase and lowercase) and a word section.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

NoMorePencils

Old 03-09-2017, 09:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I found that many of my students had a much easier time typing on an app to do their writing rather than pencil and paper especially for my kids with fine motor difficulties. I really love the Write Reader app. Students type in their "writing" and an adult can use conventional spelling for modeling. The keys also say the name (or sound if selected) so students know right away if they have selected the correct letter. Here is a link to the app and here are two links to videos introducing and explaining the app.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf_fxmfK2ZM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaWy...ature=youtu.be
NoMorePencils is offline   Reply With Quote

flighty

iPad stuff
Old 03-14-2017, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It's been a while since I've visited and may have missed what type of tech you have...
I have iPads.

I sometimes use apps Like little writers tracing app for letter formation practice occasionally. I do make time daily for traditional handwriting and fine motor skills too.

We segment and spell words and dictated sentences and create word family lists using moveable alphabet apps like Magnetic ABCs.

I've used Doodle Buddy and Hello Crayons to draw and label pics by writing with fingers or a stylus.

Some apps give you the option to write or type like Draw and Tell or Educreations. We draw and label. We Draw or insert photos and learn to type simple labels and sentences. These apps also allow you to record speech.

Since most K writing standards I've seen include a combo of write/dictate we sometimes start the year with simple labels(or even just letters for initial sounds) and students record themselves speaking complete sentences. Later they type simple sentences and can record themselves reading the sentence they typed or elaborating on it.

Sometimes we draw and record ideas verbally. Later we listen and write those ideas on paper. Don't know if that would count.

At least once a year I will have them write on paper first and then type it and insert pics/photos on an app like Book Creator or educreations. I let them type their words and any "adult undewriting" if they wish and we discuss sounds and any appropriate spelling rules as they type. We can email or post for parents to see(publishing).
flighty is offline   Reply With Quote