High School

Help explaining Irony!!

>

Mr.JoshBrown

Mr.JoshBrown

Help explaining Irony!!
Old 03-09-2017, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have to teach my class irony next month, yet I can not think of a clear way of explaining an ironic situation myself. I understand it's meaning and such, however, explain why is my obstacle.
Please help!! Thanks so much!!

dee

Alanis Morrisette?
Old 03-10-2017, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Her album Jagged Little Pill has "Isn't it Ironic."

It was a big hit a few years ago. Google the lyrics but I think it's ok.
dee is online now   Reply With Quote

LibbyRWindsor

Alanis is not likely the best bet.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't have any specific resources at the ready but I would not personally suggest the Alanis Morissette song to clarify irony. The song does not actually provide material for clarification as the examples she uses are not those that speak of irony. Some argue that the song's lack of irony is the most ironic part of it but I wouldn't even support that as the song stands. I don't mean this in an argumentative or dismissive way but I thought that I would share my thoughts.
LibbyRWindsor is online now   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Powerpoint examples
Old 03-10-2017, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

https://www.google.com/search?q=iron...utf-8&oe=utf-8
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

irony
Old 03-10-2017, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree that the song is not good. I put pictures all over the room that each display an ironic situation. The students walk around the room and try to figure out what the irony is in each pic. It's fun and gets them up and moving.
I also wear a shirt that has a snowman warming up by a fire on the day I teach irony....lol....they get it by the end of the block.

tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

In relistening...
Old 03-12-2017, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Interesting!

Can you tell it's been awhile since I taught irony?
dee is online now   Reply With Quote

maryteach

3 kinds
Old 03-28-2017, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Verbal Irony--when someone says something that turns out to be truer than they think at the time or not true at all ("Wow, that kid is a handful" and then the kid turns out to be either Attila the Hun or a perfect angel--either way), or when someone states something as untrue, but it turns out to be true ("My kid would never do that!")

Situational Irony--when something happens that is the exact opposite of what we expect. Look to Flannery O'Connor for really STARTLING situational irony. As well, there is an old episode of Twilight Zone, if you can find it, where a guy with very thick glasses and a nag of a wife has the habit of always reading--the guy just reads and reads, to the exclusion of everything else, and the chagrin of the people around him. One day (he works at a bank), he sneaks off to the vault to read and there is a nuclear holocaust and the world ends (this was made in 1959). He comes out and finds that he's the only person left alive--but he also finds the library and all the books he could ever dream of. It's paradise! And there's no one around to tell him NOT to read! It's just what he's always wanted! Then he bends over to pick up a book, and his very thick glasses fall off his face, and shatter.

Dramatic Irony--When we understand or know something the characters do not. Romeo and Juliet is a great example of dramatic irony. Romeo thinks Juliet is dead and so he kills himself but we understand that she has merely drunk the poison. Greek plays can be really good places to find dramatic irony, too.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Ms. Julie

Ms. Julie

Irony example
Old 03-29-2017, 03:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This one actually came from my student as an example of irony he found online.

I saw this spray painted on a wall:

Things I hate:
1. Vandalism.
2. Lists.
3. Irony.

dearduckyduck

Twilight Zone Episode
Old 03-29-2017, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The episode is called "Time Enough At Last". One of my favorites! You can find the whole episode on you tube.
dearduckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote

beachgirl

Use a short story...
Old 04-04-2017, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Read, "The Ransom of Red Chief" by O'Henry with your class. It is filled with irony. Used this with my 8th graders, and they all were able to find examples throughout the short story. From the beginning of the story when the kidnappers go to Summit, Alabama, which is "flat as a pancake" to the end when the kidnapped boy is having so much fun that he doesn't want to go home, this story has so many examples of irony. The students loved the story even though the vocabulary and language was difficult for some of them.

beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote