Help

Future Teachers

Overwhelmed as a Student Teacher

>

MoonChild2308

Overwhelmed as a Student Teacher
Old 03-10-2017, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi there! This semester I am finally graduating from college (I have a bachelor's in Literature and I'm graduating this May with my master's in Secondary Education) and this semester is also when I am doing my student teaching. I am about halfway through and I was hoping to get the hang of all the work that there is to be done but I'm feeling very stressed and very overwhelmed and so I was hoping to find some tips on managing the workload or just some advice on getting through it.

I teach at a high school and my cooperating teacher and I have three sections of sophomores (all three of those are mainly special education based where most, if not all, of the students' have 504s or IEPs), one freshman class (which is considered academic or college prep level and very few of the students have 504 plans), and a creative writing class that is grades 9-12. So there are three classes to prep, but it really feels like 4 because one of our sophomore classes is made up of 6 students who are extremely low leveled and are very disruptive.

However, I absolutely adore my cooperating teacher. She's fantastic. She works with me on all the lessons and checks every handout and lesson plan for the week to give me feedback on them, gives me feedback after each lesson to let me know what I did well and where I can improve, and includes me in on everything she can. I've been to several parent teacher conferences, an IEP meeting, and several departmental meetings. I feel included by the other teachers in the department for the most part and I'm enjoying the experience. However, I also have to work a "full time" job because I live with my fiance and I can't afford not to bring in an income. I work three days a week at a hotel and I'm barely making enough money to support myself. I can do schoolwork at the hotel if it isn't busy but I haven't really had the opportunity to get anything done at work lately.

To be honest, I'm just feeling very overwhelmed by everything. My cooperating teacher gives me ideas on what to do with my lessons and helps me plan out the very basic outline of every week in advance but I feel like I'm drowning a little bit with all of the work. Every day I go home from school and I work from the time I get home until, basically, the time I go to bed on getting handouts made and lessons planned. And we've just started reading "The Secret Life of Bees" with our sophomores and "The Book Thief" with our freshman and she asked me to make unit plans for both novels, by sometime in the upcoming week. She's told me to come to her with questions, which I feel like I can do, but I also get the impression from her that she doesn't want me to come to her with questions because she wants me to figure things out for myself. Which I get and I appreciate that she feels confident in me enough to give me free reign like this but between work and all of the schoolwork, I'm drowning a little bit. I've broken down crying to my fiance several times in the last week because the stress is consuming me at this point.

I need some advice on how to manage all of the work that comes with student teaching and someone to reassure me that I won't feel this way forever. I feel like I can't tell my CT that I'm feeling this way because I don't want to look like I can't handle it, but I'm not sure how to handle this anymore. I love the actual act of teaching but the stress is killing me. Any tips or advice is appreciated.

MoonChild2308 is offline   Reply With Quote

PeaceLoveRun

I remember
Old 03-15-2017, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Getting through my credential program still, to this day, one of the hardest things I've done. The days were long, the work load heavy, and so many different hats to wear. I remember stopping at the store and getting a HUGE soda to get me through the afternoon work load. Put a count down clock on your phone and count the days till the end. You'll get through it.
PeaceLoveRun is offline   Reply With Quote