Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Head start

>

bennyjake

Head start
Old 03-18-2017, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've taught kinder for 7 years and am pondering a move to head start! I have a passion for developmentally appropriate practices for young children! Want to be a part of providing this! Tired of unreal expectations for Kinders! Would love any input. What prek blogs do you love? TIA!!!<3

Last edited by bennyjake; 03-18-2017 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: Typo
bennyjake is offline   Reply With Quote

I teach K!

Some things to think about
Old 03-19-2017, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think the quality of the Head Start program really depends on who is implementing and overseeing the federal grant. Our local county government was the grant holder and the program was fabulous. I would have taught there in a heartbeat. Then they gave up the grant administration and now it is run by a nonprofit. I wouldn't teach there unless I really needed a job.

For Pre-K blogs, I love
Prekinders
Pre-K pages
Growing in Pre-K
I teach K! is offline   Reply With Quote
Prek17

Prek17

Old 03-19-2017, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Most of my career has been in prek. Twice I've taught in Head Start. The first time, it was a sort of universal prek deal ran by the board. We call it something different in my state. I would have stayed there. It was truly wonderful. However, it was well run, state of the art, with professionals. However, after being three four years, it was going to be moved to another location. Then, there was a delay with getting the building. By the time they got it, nearly December, it was a really run down building and the area that populated it was not the sort of children I wanted to teach. Before anyone thinks I am a snob, it's one thing to be poor and it's another to not value education (and I wouldn't want to rich families who acted that way). I cashed in all of my sick and vacation days and started looking for another job. I then moved to another state and got a job in a Head Start while waiting for my cert to get reciprocated. It was glorified babysitting. I was better certified than the director. I got out of there as soon as I hired for a board job. I agree with the previous poster who said only take it if you have nothing else. It's not a steady or guaranteed job. You can be moved with little to no noticed or closed down/fired. I don't know anyone who had worked in a head start long term who has not been moved.

embersofhope

Old 03-20-2017, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with the posters that have said it depends on who is running the Head Start program and where the program is located. I loved the staff at the head start program I used to work for, but it was so short-staffed and horribly run at the top that every year felt like it was going to be the last. Lots of the parents also used the program as a glorified (free) daycare service and barely cared about their child's academic progress. As a result of these things, many people jumped ship to work for DOE once an opportunity came around.
embersofhope is offline   Reply With Quote

bennyjake

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you!!!! I really appreciate the responses!!! Just what I needed to help me make my decision. My gut is telling me to stay in kinder...be a voice for appropriate practices in kindergarten! Once again thank you so much!!!!

bennyjake is offline   Reply With Quote

Pinky30

It's okay
Old 03-29-2017, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is my 5th year in Head Start...I am at a public school. I agree that it depends who is running the program and all that too. All in all I like it; I do plan to return next year. I am not a fan of having to be in ratio all the time, but other than that it's pretty alright.
Pinky30 is offline   Reply With Quote