Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Teacher Positions

>

LoveTeachBaby

Teacher Positions
Old 03-24-2017, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,

I am a new lead teacher and I have 2 assistants under me. I am wondering what everyone's experience is. I am specifically I am wondering what each position entails- assistant and lead teacher.

Thanks!

LoveTeachBaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Prekteach13

Prekteach13

Old 03-24-2017, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can you explain more what you are looking for? I'm a lead teacher in a public preschool classroom and I have 2 assistants.

LoveTeachBaby

Old 03-25-2017, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am specifically wondering how you split the work between yourself and your assistants.
LoveTeachBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Prekteach13

Prekteach13

Old 03-27-2017, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think it depends on many factors, including the type of classroom you have and how experienced your assistants are.

My classroom is a special education preschool classroom. My paras work mainly 1:1 with students, running work systems/visual schedules/behavior systems, and helping with the general flow of the day. While I'm teaching large group, 1 assistant is usually on the carpet with students who need help, and 1 is getting our meals ready. We all assist with diapering/changing, although they do a majority of it. We all also assist with cleaning, but my role is primarily with students.

I always tell my assistants at the beginning of the year that I'll never ask them to do anything I won't do. I always make sure I assist with toileting, lead the way with challenging behaviors, and clean whenever needed. I try to make sure I'm always being a "leader" and modeling the behavior that I want to see in my paras (i.e. not getting my phone out during the day, dressing appropriately, using appropriate language with students, etc.)

sandycheeks

Old 03-29-2017, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

No, you don't share teaching responsibility. That is solely your role. You are the supervisor of the classroom and you plan and provide instruction and lead the day.

The TA supports you in prepping for the day- projects, classroom, etc. She may check for important notes, provide you with information from office, taker attendance for you. Supervision of children.

An aide or para does the majority of the toileting, food prep, cleaning.

But we all share and do as much as we can of whats needed in the moment.

sandycheeks is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 04-01-2017, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

For me, sometimes it depended on the students and the abilities of the TA's. If I have a child/children with significant needs, the TA may be spending the day as a 1-1 aide. At times, it was cleaning, preparing for the next activity, check bookbags, help with bathroom. My last year I had 1 hour per day and they got the children off the bus, took kids to breakfast and I returned after I got done with other supervision duties. That would be where 'take this job and shove it' took over.
I hear after I left they hired 2 full times aides to help in that classroom (4K & early childhood special education).
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote