Help

Fifth Grade

Field trip help

>

sblief

Field trip help
Old 03-28-2017, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Tomorrow 2/3 of our 5th grade class is going to Washington D.C. for one day on a field trip. I am staying behind to be with the other 1/3. I have an assignment for them to work on all day, where they (with a partner) research where they would have wanted to go on a field trip instead of DC. Its a huge project, and I won't get into it.

My question is how to make tomorrow fun? I know some are bummed they couldn't go, and while I know working on a project instead of doing other work could be more "fun", I want to do something special for the ones staying behind. To them, they have to still come to school and do work, while their friends are having a blast in DC.

I was thinking of just getting them donuts, but I would like something a bit better than that. Any suggestions??

sblief is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-28-2017, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How about using google earth to go visit the other place? They could "look" all around and see the outside of places. I know that ipads have some sort of fly over thing on their map, but I don't remember the name since I don't actually have that feature on my old ipad.

Are there and you tube videos that show the report location? Or if you have access to Discovery Ed? Any chance they could take the afternoon to turn the classroom into the location? They could do murals to put up on the wall, or make miniature models of different things on location.

Good luck. I wonder why they aren't studying D.C. more in depth.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

LibbyRWindsor

Would you consider virtual field trips?
Old 03-28-2017, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Some museums and other organizations have virtual field trips. The National Zoo and a few other spots also have some great webcams and videos. If you are interested, I can help you out with a list.
LibbyRWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote

sblief

Old 03-28-2017, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

They have been studying DC for awhile.

I had a different project planned where students plan where they would want to go on a field trip instead of DC, but I think I want to change it to a virtual field trip to DC. I found a few videos, but I need an activity to go with it. I need something that will last all day tomorrow and about 3 hours tomorrow ( kids who didn't go on the trip report to school at normal time, kids who went to DC get to come in at 10 am because their flight gets in pretty late tomorrow night.)

I was thinking spend a lot of the day doing the virtual field trip, then having them create a presentation about different sights in DC. Students could pair off and pick a sight to do a presentation on, and present them Thursday morning I suppose?

cruxian

Old 03-28-2017, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That would be good! We're headed to DC tomorrow but it's a day trip for us. A lot of the Smithsonian museums have fun "extras"----like the Natural History Museum has bug shows and a butterfly garden; the Air and Space Museum has IMAX movies. Maybe have them research a list of these types of activities at the museums, give them a budget, and allow them to decide how to spend the money? And, I hope you don't mind asking, why can't they go? Money?

cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

sblief

Old 03-29-2017, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Great idea! And yes its most likely due to money. It costs about $500 per person for one day (they fly out first thing in the morning and get back around 10 pm) and parents want to go with their child, so that's $1,000 for one day! Some kids staying behind are going to DC for spring break or this summer for a few days instead.

None of the students were held behind due to behavior.

cruxian

Old 03-29-2017, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm relieved! $500 is a lot for one day. I'd much rather go for spring break or for the summer for a few days. I was a little worried that they'd been forced to stay behind for behavior.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 04-01-2017, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

That is a lot of money for a one day trip!

Our big excursion (for Years 5/6) is $300 and that's four days away. And a lot of parents complain, and about half don't/can't/won't pay it. The left-behinds do virtual excursions to the sites the others will be visiting (the trip is to Canberra, our national capital) and do work based on what they have learnt.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote