Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

double digit addition/common core

>

dusty

double digit addition/common core
Old 03-29-2017, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently teaching my first graders how to add double digit #'s and we are now moving onto carrying over/regrouping. I am teaching them to first add the ones and then carry over, but i've seen some people posting online that according to the common core standards we should not be teaching algorithms, such as the carrying over strategy. Is this true? If so, how should I be teaching my first graders to add 79 + 24 that follows the guidelines of the common core standards?
The common core standard is "Understand that in adding two-digit numbers, one adds tens and tens, ones and ones; and sometimes it is necessary to compose a ten."

Also, it states "using concrete models or drawings and strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction"

Lastly, does anyone know what is meant by "relate the strategy to a written method"
I want to make sure I am teaching math the same way they will be taught in second grade so that they are prepared but now I'm even more confused than I was before.
thanks

dusty is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

There isn't a prescribed common core method
Old 03-29-2017, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

that I am aware of. Just the idea that students have a variety of methods presented to them, and that they understand the underlying functions of tens and ones. I personally don't see why the standard algorithm shouldn't be taught. I don't think there is a mandate from CC for students NOT to learn them. I just teach the skill with a lot of manipulatives and drawings to support understanding. Our instructional series presents the skills with a lot of different paths to the answer. In the end, we are happy if students choose a method that works for them, and they can explain how they arrived at their answer. I would check with the second grade teacher at your school to see what would be helpful for her to have students know. Do you not have a textbook or mandated curriculum that specifies what is to be taught?
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

dusty

Old 03-29-2017, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi,
thanks for responding, We do have a math curriculum that is connected to the common core but I work at a private school and sometimes I get nervous that I am not teaching the way the public schools are teaching the common core standards. I think seeing the different interpretations of the common core standards by teachers on the internet made me question myself. I do try to expose my students to different strategies so I guess I'm on the right path. Thanks again.

Keltikmom

Double digits
Old 03-29-2017, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I thought it was a second grade standard. Having same issue. The Bridges system teaches them to use a number line, or subtract the tens and then something wonky with the ones that makes no sense. The algorithm isn't taught until 4th grade. I taught the algorithm.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 03-29-2017, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Teach them the algorithm for the love of all things holy.

Sincerely,
2nd grade teacher

In all seriousness though, the people online are probably talking about decomposing. It was all the rage around here for quite some time and left the kids thoroughly confused.

So in your example you'd turn 79 into 70 + 9 and 24 into 20 + 4.

You'd then add 9 and 4 to get 13. And 70 and 20 to get 90. And finally 90+13 to get 103. Or you'd go one step further and break the 13 into 10+3, add the 90 and the 10 to get 100+3=103.

Or decomposing a different way you'd break the 24 into 20+4, then add the 79 and the 20 to get 99+4, or one step further and break the 4 into 1+3 and add the 99 and the 1 to make 100 + 3.

I'm so glad we've gone back to the algorithm.

seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

seenthelight...
Old 03-30-2017, 01:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What a perfect answer! Because it was required I taught the "new" way. However I also taught the children the "old fashioned" method too. I always told them that one of the reasons math was so interesting because it allowed them to solve problems in different ways.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Penguin82

Old 03-30-2017, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

70 + 24
I would draw 7 tens and 9 ones. Then draw 2 tens and 4 ones. THey count the ones first and make a new ten by circling all the ones. Then they count the tens and the leftover ones.

It's important for them to SEE that they are actually making a new ten. I would use unifix cubes for the kids who need something more than drawing.
Penguin82 is offline   Reply With Quote

dusty

thank you
Old 03-30-2017, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you so much for the helpful replies. I feel much better about teaching the concept. Also, thanks for the good laugh, seenthelght, loved your response.

seenthelight

Old 03-30-2017, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We spend a lot of time with base ten blocks. Both actual blocks and sketching them, so the kids get what is happening when we carry using the algorithm.

The "new" way has far too many steps. Far too many places for a 7-8 year old still wrapping their minds around number sense.

Even the parents are happy now. They can help their kids. It's awesome.

1959mm

draw
Old 03-30-2017, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm tutoring a 2nd grader who is learning this. Her teacher encourages them to draw 7 sticks for 70 and 9 dots for ones. Then draw 2 sticks and 4 dots. Group the ones into 10 and 3, then count all the sticks.

it takes her forever to do this drawing and she does sometimes miscounts.... much easier doing the algorithm.

1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

1959mm
Old 03-30-2017, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Try having her draw the ones in a ten frame configuration. It helps with the miscounting. We drew a lot too, while doing the algorithm (right next to it to help check their work). Their basic facts weren't stong yet, but now they've got it under control, and it's straight up algorithm up to 3 digits.

RetiredKat

proof seenthelight is right
Old 03-30-2017, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If you have not seen the video, go to YouTube. Search for "the unintended consequences of TERC Investigations math". It is priceless!
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote
skoolteechur
Old 04-01-2017, 12:25 PM
This message has been deleted by skoolteechur.

skoolteechur

I agree with SeenTheLight.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Teach the algorithm, but I also teach that strategy of breaking down tens and ones, adding them separately, and then adding them together. Although, I don't break my decomposing down THAT much! I just want them to see what is happening.
skoolteechur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tigercat

stack and solve
Old 04-27-2017, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I teach 2nd, and we call it stack and solve. We go into 3 digits.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote