Help

Substitute Teachers

Long term sub at per diem rate?

>

BMusic

Long term sub at per diem rate?
Old 03-31-2017, 02:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a unique situation. I have a music teaching certificate but have been subbing in a first grade classroom for the past 2 weeks off and on. A long term posting for the job through April appeared and I applied. I am told they would like to keep me in the position but since I don't have an elementary certificate they can only pay me my per diem rate instead if hiring as a long term sub. Does that sound right? I'm in New Jersey. Thanks for your thoughts.

BMusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

district and union
Old 03-31-2017, 02:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It depends on the district and collective agreement. In some districts I know, you get paid part of the regular teacher salary if you are going to be working for at least 20 consecutive days for this same teacher.

One upside to your situation is that it's a day-to-day arrangement. It's not like you're going to be bound to some contract and you have the right to work part-way through this job or commit yourself all the way through. Your role is strictly supervisory. If you do take this assignment on, I would ask for the regular teacher's plan on a regular basis. I don't like to bring this up but would there be an eval? It's better to have that mindset than not.

It's a common practise unfortunately because of budget cuts. Check with someone in your union. Please keep us posted.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Union?
Old 03-31-2017, 02:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are subs in the union-- not where I am.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

mlk56

Old 03-31-2017, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No subs in the union where I am either.
mlk56 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-31-2017, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Long term subs here make the sub rate plus $10 a day AFTER 10 days.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Cetti

Union
Old 03-31-2017, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In 2 of the 3 districts I work in we are part of the teacher Union (those 2 districts also pay much higher than the non-Union district).
Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-31-2017, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

LTS at per diem rate? I simply won't do it; too much work, too little pay. I no longer believe it when they say it's a foot in the door. Too many times it hasn't been.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

LibbyRWindsor

That is not practice here.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I realize that situations vary by district, state and other factors but situations like those that you have described are handled differently in all of the areas in which I have taught. I am sure that the situation is dealt with exactly as you have described in some areas but those in which I have taught pay substitute teachers between 1.5 and nearly 2 times the daily substitute pay rate if they serve in LTS status.

What are your thoughts on your situation? Are you happy to move on or would you like to stay where you are no matter which pay category you fall under?
LibbyRWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote

BMusic

Thanks
Old 03-31-2017, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you for all of the insights offered...subs are not in the union where I am, but one of the other teachers suggested I speak with the union rep anyway and see what they think. I do like teaching the class and have made a lot of progress with them in the past couple of weeks but I also don't want to be taken advantage of. There are some behavioral issues to deal with. I will spend a lot of time planning and grading while any other "sub" walks in at 8 and leaves at 3:30. Another trade off with subbing is choosing my days. On the other hand I like though that I could leave the situation without a binding contract.
Guess I have a lot to consider this weekend!
BMusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 03-31-2017, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I will not do long term for a per diem rate.

Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

Old 03-31-2017, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I do long term subbing at per deim rate. We don't have a union, even for regular teachers here, so I get cheated. Thing is, I'd rather be in a long term position than here one day, another place the next, so I just deal with it. If I complained, I'm sure I'd be told just to not take any long terms anymore.

You just have to decide what you're happiest doing.
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Bandnstrings

don't go to the union on this one
Old 03-31-2017, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I wouldn't mention it to the union (even though I'm a very pro union person). If it is an issue, the union will go to the admin, and the admin may find out it was you who "got them caught" if it is an issue. I have had experience in NJ-the school politics can get real messy in a way that is uniquely Jersey. I'm not criticizing your abilities, but it seems odd that they don't want one of the 1 billion elementary ed certified people out there. (Again--NJ is very "unique" and "special" when it comes to staffing practices)
Bandnstrings is offline   Reply With Quote

jeopardyfan

Old 04-01-2017, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

The only way I would possibly do that would be if: A. everything was already planned out for me (ie cover pages x-y of this book on this day etc), and B. if I was only expected to grade stuff during the normal sub day and not stay later or take anything home to finish, and whatever didn't get graded, didn't get graded. Think of what your hourly rate is now, then figure what it'd be after adding on an extra hour or two (or more) per day for planning/grading and see if it is still worth it.
jeopardyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 04-29-2017, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Long term subbing is $28 an hour here.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote