Any other new teachers feel the same way? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

New Teachers

Any other new teachers feel the same way?

>

Emptyhanded

Any other new teachers feel the same way?
Old 03-31-2017, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a new teacher. For all intents and purposes I should be having a good year. My co workers are nice, people are supportive. I only teach 4 sections of English 9 besides remedial.

I have just been so exhausted stressed and anxious. There is just a never ending to do list. I can't enjoy weeknights and I start to feel anxious again on Saturday. It almost feels unbearable. I have always wanted to be a teacher but this year is sucking everything out of me. I almost have no desire to return and want to resign at the end of the year. (Sometimes I feel like I can't even make it that far).

My admin recently put me on an improvement plan because of my management and test scores. It bothers me because for the first 27 weeks I was "doing really well" according to them. They saw my plans and how I teach and now nothing is good enough for them. I am always insufficient. I know that's the life of a teacher but I just don't know if I can take it.

Any other new teachers feel this way?

Emptyhanded is offline   Reply With Quote

dubby

Old 04-05-2017, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I was a new teacher I completely felt that way. Moving into my 6th hear I still know there is a never ending to-do list. That's just the way it is.

For classroom management I would suggest Fred Jones' Tools For Teaching book. For me, it completely turned me around into becoming an effective teacher. I learned how to "mean business".

And know that even people with a tv crew went through your same experience (minus evaluations).
https://www.amazon.com/Like-Apologiz.../dp/0307887871
dubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Madaly320

yes
Old 04-09-2017, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

new teacher here as well. I come to dread Sundays. Sundays to me is the beginning of stress. Sunday is the day when I contemplate if I even want to keep doing this job. I find I am fine once Monday rolls around and I get into the swing of the week, but the weekends stress me out because I know I can't enjoy them. All I do is think and stress, and work. I teach severe disabilities, self contained, and I am not required to write lesson plans because my kids work on individual academic and social IEP goals, but my long list of paperwork as a sped teacher is never ever ending. I have deadlines and parent issues coming out of every which way. I have materials to create and graphs to keep on top of.

I knew this would be hard, but I had no idea the amount of stress I would be under.
Madaly320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Emptyhanded

Old 04-10-2017, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sometimes I stay up way too late on Saturdays just because I don't want Sunday to come haha.

Ninetwo

I am right there with you
Old 04-16-2017, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I actually had to go to my doctor for anxiety and depression at the beginning of the year. The dread was awful. I actually thought if I crashed my car on the way in I wouldn't have to go! I didn't do that, but the next week went and was put on antidepressants and anxiety meds. Things got much better. I had a bad week last week. I yelled at students, that is not me at all and of course my principle was walking by right then! The teacher next door yells. Constantly and they never say anything to her! I yell once and I get a talking to! I feel awful and now I am scared to even be assertive.

Ninetwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Emptyhanded

Old 04-17-2017, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Just got anxiety meds and anti depressants today, I just wish I bit the bullet and got them earlier. I had a breakdown since this post the last day of Easter break haha.. I used a sick day today and am using one tomorrow. Luckily my admin is supportive of it, I explained the situation to her. I seriously contemplated resigning. But I'm going to try to make it through.

I have had the car thought many a time! Thank you for the post, it can be lonely thinking you're alone. I hope it gets better for you!

SpeedLimit62

Old 04-23-2017, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Glad you got on some medication! Please please please don't ever say or think of hurting yourself in a. Car accident. On my way home from work I got in a terrible car accident and almost died. Yes I was off for 4 weeks but I wasn't OK and happy.

Teaching is really hard and can be completely overwhelming. Talk to a therapist and always remember it is just a job. You are not stuck and you could always something else.

Your life, sanity and happiness are more important than your job.
SpeedLimit62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ninetwo

Things got better
Old 05-27-2017, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am fine now and love the job. I couldn't do it though if I wasn't on my antidepressants. I have been on them before it is not all the jobs fault, it's just my brain. Hang in there. You are definitely not alone.
Ninetwo is offline   Reply With Quote