Help

New Teachers

applying for positions locally

>

whd507

applying for positions locally
Old 04-02-2017, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I taught in a private Christian school years ago, and I have been subbing for over a year now, all grades including all summer, and I am just wrapping up my initial certificate (1-6) and I will be finishing a 7-12 History certificate soon. I am applying for 4-6th positions locally and while I know I was a good high school teacher years ago, and I am in demand now as a substitute, with most of my teachers telling me they are happy with my abilities. However I'm wanting to start this new phase well. I'm of the opinion that these lower grades are a little more important than what I was doing, since so many foundational things are taught here, that high school teachers take for granted (at least I did). So I'm filling out the apps and keep getting essay questions such as "Describe the skills or attributes you believe are necessary to be an outstanding teacher." and "How would you address a wide range of skills and abilities in your classroom?" I have addressed both a few times now, and while I'm not second guessing myself too much, I think added input might not be a bad idea, and wanted to throw these out here to see if I'm on track and what I'm missing. So I'd appreciate a little help with my homework here if you don't mind.

Also I'm a male teacher, and that does seem to be rare here locally in the lower grades. should I modify anything in my answers to help my cause? I think there ought to me more men in the lower grades, to help build a more solid and rounded foundation for this age group, but I have subbed in schools where being a male teacher in a lower grade was seen as suspect by some [hostile] female teachers. I would like to nullify that if possible, since I'm applying to districts where I have never subbed and therefore I have no idea what the teacher culture is there yet.

Last edited by whd507; 04-02-2017 at 08:57 PM..
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 04-02-2017, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Q1.Describe the skills or attributes you believe are necessary to be an outstanding teacher.... Leadership is important, as is classroom management and relevant content knowledge. Teachers should be caring and enthusiastic about their students. Outstanding teachers must also be personable, have respect for their students (and the families of the students), and be able to incorporate multiple resources to suit the varied needs and learning styles of their students, observe and understand the differences and similarities among students and use this information to plan effective instruction. They must be innovative, able to create a cohesive sense of community within the classroom and not be easily discouraged. I am a storyteller, and have found that this ability helps in a multitude of situations. A teacher must inspire his students to do their best in all they attempt to do. They need to set obtainable but high enough expectations for their students to encourage growth and expand knowledge.
Teachers must be understanding of how life outside school affects the student’s life at school, and be able to deftly weave the thread of education through those obstacles in the most diplomatic method possible, guiding the student to help create the tapestry of their lives.
A good teacher will always remember that the school is there for the students, not the other way around. Also teachers must be able to get along and collaborate well with other teachers, administrators and parents/guardians.

The teachers that changed my life exhibited all these qualities.

A firm belief that these students are not only the future of our nation and society, and are capable of unlimited and amazing things if they are properly prepared for their role in the future, but while looking ahead I must never forget where they are today as children is vitally important and must be handled well for their sakes as important individuals.

I see my role as a teacher as helping to lay a foundation, and assist them in building their lives. You can build a house with the best building materials, but if you fail to lay a solid foundation, it will not stand strong for the duration.

Q2. How would you address a wide range of skills and abilities in your classroom?

Just as you need to address a wide range of skills and abilities in any workplace and out in the “real world”, in every classroom, students will perform and receive instruction at different levels, to a student, the classroom is the “real world” so a teacher has to have patience and be open and adaptable to employ individual teaching techniques with his students. Student understanding of the current subject is a large part of behavior problems, therefore teachers need to create a strategy to approach each situation. Strategies such as one-on-one direct instruction, utilizing a jigsaw strategy or a differentiation strategy will expand the available instruction materials to more effectively reach varied student interests and abilities.
A teacher needs to manage the instruction in such a way that students are consistently learning with as little disruption or frustration as possible, while balancing what seem to be shorter attention spans. A good teacher needs to reflect on his approach everyday and take notes about what works and what does not adjusting instruction accordingly. It’s easier to pull a rope than push one.
Collaborating with a student’s past teacher[s] when possible is also a good peer resource when available and appropriate.

Last edited by whd507; 04-02-2017 at 08:56 PM..

mrsd5

Old 04-09-2017, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think both responses sound good. I'm just posting to say that male elementary teachers are valued in our district, and many parents request them (not that requests are always honored). We are a small district, and there are only three or four male elementary teachers, including one elementary p.e. teacher. I admire you for wanting to teach elementary. I'm a middle school teacher at heart, and the littles scare me.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

The littles scare me a little too...lol
Old 04-09-2017, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm probably a better fit in upper elementary or middle school, working on my 7-12 history cert right now, I'm applying for the local districts that are seeking 4-6th right now, if I have to sub another year, so be it, its fun in its own way. its the two other jobs that support my subbing habit that are killing me.